New to Gingers

meixue(10 CA, Bay Area)September 26, 2004

Hi, I'm interested in possibly replacing our current walkways plant strip to the house with Ginger plants. I live in the east bay in California. Our walkway does not get much sun at all, just a lot of light and some filtered sun. Would ginger grow there. I'm looking to plant fragrant gingers there but dont know what kind of light/sun requirements they have. Thanks for any advice.

Meixue

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
meixue(10 CA, Bay Area)

I just read something about digging up the ginger after the bloom. I live in the bay area in california. Do you have to dig up the rhizomes and store them away then replant them after winter? Do I have to do this in my zone 10b. I would like to be able to just plant these and not have to worry about having to dig them all up. It very seldom freezes here, maybe 5 days out of the year, I'm guessing. Thanks
Meixue

Bookmark   September 26, 2004 at 10:26PM
cactusfreak(7)

You do not say what type of gingers. But in your area most are hardy.
Check the site below for information

Here is a link that might be useful: Ginger info

Bookmark   September 27, 2004 at 1:36AM
meixue(10 CA, Bay Area)

Hi cactusfreak, oh, I actually am not sure what types of gingers yet. Fragrant ones most likely I will have to do some internet searches for the most fragrant gingers I guess then see if I can find info on them regarding hardiness. Are there any gingers that live year round so I always have something showy in the walkway? I guess if these die back every winter it may not be a good idea to put them in the walkway. Thanks for your post!
Meixue

Bookmark   September 27, 2004 at 11:48AM
More Discussions
Help with Ginger ID please
Hi everyone - I live on the east coast of Australia...
splinter1804
Growing Ginger relative 'Turmeric'
I have found some fresh Turmeric root at a local Asian...
oldherb
Too much water or not enough???
Hi everyone, Need a bit of help here. I have this flash...
vinny.tropic
Is this ginger flowering?
Hi, Is this ginger bud? Thanks in advance. Anna This...
aaaaaaaa
Hedychium 'tara' and 'disney'
Does anyone grow both tara and disney and/or know what...
shane11
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™