Trashcan rain barrel?

texas_is_homeFebruary 14, 2010

we have a trashcan that we dont really use much so i was wondering if i would make a good rain barrel. It doesnt leak or anything. (i need to get my moms approval to use it though)Just curious because we have been getting tons of rain and i want to collect some.

Thank u everyone

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marlingardener

Trash cans, plastic ones, that is, make great rain barrels. Our rain collection system for 10 years was plastic trash cans that the drainpipes from the guttering fed into. Dip and carry, but it kept a beautiful garden, beautiful!
If you have your barrel in the summertime, you need to prevent mosquitoes. The easiest way is to put a bacillus thuringensis (pardon the spelling) doughnut in the barrel. BT prevents eggs from hatching. Usually 1/4 doughnut is sufficient for about two months.

Bookmark   February 23, 2010 at 9:03AM
lynngun

You may need to find a way to childproof it. Some kind of latching/locking lid might work. You do not want a child drowning in your rain barrels.

Bookmark   March 23, 2014 at 1:20PM
gardenper(8)

You can use an overflow valve or tube that would then flow over into another trash can, so that you can still have the effect of having some of these larger barrels.

I am currently using my unused landscape in-ground pond. The conditions in my area are such that it is considered a useless yard decoration with the water restrictions, so now when I am home and it is raining, I let it fill up from the rain, but I also use smaller buckets to catch rain and then dispense it in that pond.

I make sure to use the water up in a few days so that it does not contribute as much to any mosquito problems in the general area. For example, even though we did get rain, but there are some plants under the eaves of the house that may not have gotten much of the rain, I then immediately water those with the new rain that was collected.

I also use the water in some spots that are exposed and get rain but they don't get a regular watering from me because my hose can't reach it. So for those areas, I then use the rain water to take care of them in the next few days.

Bookmark   April 21, 2014 at 12:33PM
More Discussions
How many of you green people live in a cave?
If you live in a cave, and are a hunter (be sure not...
ncdirtdigger
Want to re-use my bath water with discharge pump. Advice?
I'd like to star using my bath-water to water my yard....
goldenecho
You Can Use That Plastic Bottle in the Garden!
I love this idea for a 'time-release' water bottle! Here...
sylviatexas1
Eco friendly way to disinfect a bathroom
Hi everyone, I initially posted this over on the cleaning...
kristimama
Green Mattress
Does anyone have advice for finding a greener mattress?...
thorndncr
Sponsored Products
simplehuman 2.6-gal Brushed Stainless Steel Pedal Trash Can
Overstock.com
Stainless Steel Trash Can Set
$31.99 | zulily
10" Crossweave Dark Brown Cylinder Rattan Storage Basket
Signature Hardware
Modernhome Anti-fingerprint Motion Activated Touchless Trash Can Set
Overstock.com
Commercial Zone Swivel Lock Wall Mounted Smokers Outpost - 712101
$102.42 | Hayneedle