My Brassavola nodosa orchid finally bloomed!

Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)November 30, 2011

The flower pod split open last night and the petals started unfolding. Tonight it appears to be fully open or almost? So far no scent. :(

I don't know if that happens later in the evening (it's around 6pm right now) or if it must be absolutely dark for scent production or what.

I've read in 'Bloom-Again Orchids' by Judy White that many strains have little to no scent and it's best to smell before you buy. I'm crossing my fingers that mine will turn out to have a heady scent! :)

-Robert

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)

Follow up notes: Went to dinner and came home around 8 and was able to detect a light scent (not heady). Reminded me of Bouvardia Longiflora? I'm hoping that the scent will be stronger tonight.

-Robert

Bookmark   December 1, 2011 at 9:50AM
Ispahan Zone6a Chicago

Hi Robert,

Most orchids will not produce much of a scent when they first open, and brassavola is no exception. You need to wait a couple of days before the blossom has matured enough to produce a stronger scent. Orchids follow very different rules than most plants :-)

However, the fact that you already noticed a fragrance from it is a very good sign. Once more blossoms open and mature you will notice the scent in all areas of your house starting at 7-8 pm. The scent is incredibly pervasive but never overpowering.

As for fragrance quality, I think it is one of the best. It has a spicy floral aroma with medicinal undertones and hints of...bacon! Yes, that does indeed sound strange (even unappealing), but once you experience it you will become addicted. It is unique, delicious and wonderful!

Bookmark   December 1, 2011 at 4:00PM
Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)

Hi Ispahan!

Thanks for your input as usual.
Your bacon comment made me laugh. I envisioned Homer Simpson drooling as he says 'Mmmm...bacon'! ;)

-Robert

Bookmark   December 1, 2011 at 4:28PM
meyermike_1micha(5)

Dang Rob!

Wouldn't you know it. I couldn't pull your picture here at work. I will do it at home though.

Congrats buddy. If I like what I see, guess what my next plant will be? lol

Mike

Bookmark   December 1, 2011 at 7:15PM
More Discussions
My Gardenia is dying because of spider mites,what to do?
Gardenia dying off below pic Ok to start with this...
Marwa Mars
Chimonanthus Praecox Wintersweet in Zone 6?
The Chinese Winterswwet (Chimonanthus Praecox) is listed...
redsun9
' daphne odora'. Are they hard to keep alive as many say?
If they are not for you, especially in my climate zone...
meyermike_1micha
Hamamelis mollis
I have a new spot under a huge cedar that has been...
Maggie (Vancouver, BC 8a)
War on Gardenia's mealy bugs
A few months ago, we took home a beautifully flowering...
daniel_cl
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™