Ginger indoors?

greenlarry(UK 8/9)October 11, 2012

Hi all

I tried growing a piece of rhizome years ago but I was in a tiny appartment back then and it never happened, but Id like to try again in my house. Im in england so cant plant them outdoors, but Im worried that the plants get quite large! Is ginger as a houseplant a viable option?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tropicbreezent

Gingers come in all sizes so you'd be able to find one to suit. The one used in cooking is a reasonably small size. Cornukaempferia, Globba are also reasonable. It's a big family of plants and there are quite a few dwarf varieties. But whatever you do, don't get the Torch Gingers, Etlingera species, or some of the Alpinias.

Bookmark   October 12, 2012 at 1:38AM
letitlive

This is a picture of my eating ginger and it has taken it 3 years to fill this huge pot. Great for indoors but may still go dormant in winter. I simply buy eating ginger at the store and bring it home plant it in a container and cheapest way. Make sure it has lots or at least 4 eyes or light spots where it will grow from. A bright window difused light should work well and just practice. You might want to google how to grow gingers, ect. lots of spots to help you. Just keep changing the wording of what you want to find out till you get a site that answers it like you want. Happy growing.

Bookmark   October 15, 2012 at 3:45PM
greenlarry(UK 8/9)

Thanks guys. That pic looks like how the ginger I grew was shaping up. It was a fast grower before it got out of hand!

Bookmark   October 17, 2012 at 5:42PM
More Discussions
Heliconias in zone 9A?
I live in Barcelona (Spain) a Mediterranean zone similar...
barna
Hedychium flavum / wardii
I ordered this one from eBay, and it was posted with...
HoosierBob SW Indiana Zone 5
Northern Middle Tennessee Ginger, What Kind?
I would very much like to start a hot bed for ginger...
HobHoggins
Another Ginger ID
I was gifted this as edible pink ginger. It don't look...
inulover
Turmeric in FL?
Anyone have any problems growing it? Mine looks so...
MsMowiss
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™