Upright Jasmine?

greenpointmary(6 or 7)November 18, 2009

I just saw this plant in a 4" pot called "Upright Jasmine" at the grocery. What variety could it be? No latin name could be found, and the scent was a classic jasmine scent, not like the angel wing jasmine I have. I resisted buying it, boy was it hard!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ispahan Zone6a Chicago

Hi there,

We would love to help you identify your jasmine, but it will be really hard to do so without a picture. Do you think you can take a photo of it and post it here? :-)

Good luck,
Ispahan

Bookmark   November 21, 2009 at 2:35PM
greenpointmary(6 or 7)

Hello! I actually figured it out by looking at pictures online. It's poet's jasmine. I ended up purchasing it, I just could not resist. I did find that it is actually five tall plants in a small pot together, so that it would appear fuller. After it blooms, can I cut the plants way back, and separate them into their own pots? Or is that too shocking? Each plant now is a gangly 18".

Bookmark   November 22, 2009 at 11:27PM
birdsnblooms

Hi Green. Your Poet Jasmine, 'Jasminum Officinale,' starts vining after a certain height. It needs a stake or trellis so it won't look scraggly.
Does it have, fragrant, 4-5 lobed, white, tubular flowers approximately 3" long? It sounds beautiful..

Dividing could cause some shock, but if you're careful, cut into roots without causing too much damage, you'll probably be successful.

Of course it's a matter of taste, but I prefer a fuller look, so instead of dividing, I prefer adding two or more plants to a pot.
If your Jasmine is a deciduous type, you won't have to worry about cutting back..Leaves drop automatically.
Although if you decide to cut back, wait until days lengthen. End of Feb and later. Plus, you can try rooting the cuttings, but it's not a definate thing. Jasmines aren't the easiest plants to root.

When you say gangly, do you mean foliage is sparse or something else? It's natural for deciduous planss. Do you hae a picture? Toni

Bookmark   December 2, 2009 at 12:36AM
More Discussions
Osmanthus fragrans 'Fudingzhu'
I bought three large plants because I read about their...
KJMM
Your 2015 wish list
Okay. I'm sort of ashamed to admit that I've already...
Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
Suggestions for Southern CA Zone 9b
Hi All, After my first of gardening, I have discovered...
KJMM
Doesn't look like MOO to me
Since it's a snowy weekend and I'm stuck inside I've...
Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
Ixora odorata
Hello, does anyone have this on the mainland U.S.A.?...
donnagoetz
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™