Cymbidium orchid blooming at a local conservatory

Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)December 23, 2012

I didn't grow this magnificently scented plant. It's blooming right now in the Tulsa Garden Center Conservatory but I wanted to share it with you guys.
I know Mike, Olympia and Kemistry (to name a few) have been telling me how awesomely scented these orchids are...well now I know!
I couldn't find a tag on it but I'm thinking maybe Cymbidium Golden Elf 'Sundust'?
To me it smells like a magnolia (Magnolia grandiflora) course I had none blooming to compare it to.
Anyway it's definitely on my wish list for next year!
Too bad it gets so big and is an evergreen so I couldn't just shove it down into the basement during winter (sunny windows and space are a premium during the winter).
Still if anyone has the space I'm joining the Cymbidium bandwagon in praising this orhid's scent. Laugh.

-Robert

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fenius(9)

thanks robert! (maybe not actually, because since the last time there was talk about them I actually ordered 7!... )
I'll regret asking of course, but would you guys share notes on cultivars??

Bookmark   December 23, 2012 at 1:37PM
Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)

Hi fenius!

I actually thought of you while sniffing it (I went again today and it still smells like magnolias to me which I know you love). :)
Looked again for a tag but nothing. A nearby plant simply stated 'Cymbidium'.
I'm hoping maybe someone from the garden club or orchid club can tell me the cultivar...and if you have 7 of them you should be telling us about the differences in scents of the cultivars! ;)
But maybe none of yours have bloomed yet? :(

-Robert

Bookmark   December 23, 2012 at 2:58PM
fenius(9)

no nothing yet just grass... will let you know as soon as I have blooms

Bookmark   December 23, 2012 at 7:17PM
meyermike_1micha(5)

Robert..THANK YOU for sharing! I am in love with them and if I had access to get one, I would right now..

I hope this night finds you happy and all is well. You are a good man and I am glad I met you. Thanks for thinking of us.

By the way, I did pick up an Orchid today. I was at a nursery I had never been to before and just roaming, when I could smell something very sweet. I followed it, the fragrance that is for at least a good ten feet, when I just so happened to stumble across this orchid which somehow happened to land in my loving arms...

Mike:-)

Bookmark   December 24, 2012 at 6:47PM

No fair teasing us with a description of a sweet scent without telling us which kind of orchid you got today!
And here I was thinking I was bad for getting plants in the mail during winter while you're still going out shopping for them! ;)

-Robert

Bookmark   December 24, 2012 at 11:31PM
More Discussions
Petunia 'Cottage Queen'
Has anyone ever sniffed this petunia? I noticed it...
Plumeria stenopetala
So I've been resisting ordering a plant for days now...
Ixora odorata
Hello, does anyone have this on the mainland U.S.A.?...
donnagoetz
Blooming in December!
Thanks to True-Blue for reminding me we're in a new...
War on Gardenia's mealy bugs
A few months ago, we took home a beautifully flowering...
daniel_cl
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™