I give up on non blooming ginger

gardenlady76(TX coast/9)November 20, 2013

I was given two varigated ginger (that's all I know about them) two years ago. They were in pretty bad shape, but some one here on the board told me to cut them back and they would be ok. Which I did. They proceeded to flourish and have lovely varigated leaves, and that's all. NO blooms. They are in large pots, get partial shade from the hot Texas afternoon sun, are well fed and watered. I over winter them in the greenhouse, in other words they are "pampered". So, why don't they bloom????? Help please. They have to bloom pretty soon, or I will have to replace them with plants that will bloom......no slackers allowed here!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lac1361(z9a Lake Charles, LA)

There are dozens of gingers that are variegated. It would help if you had a picture. I'll take a shot at which variety you have since the most common variegated ginger is Alpinia Zerumbet variegata. This ginger only blooms on second year growth so if you cut the plant back, you'll never see blooms. In your zone, you should be able to get this ginger to bloom as long as it doesn't get frosted.

Steve

Bookmark   November 25, 2013 at 9:03AM
More Discussions
How do I store ginger for planting next spring?
Hi, I bought a huge ginger root from Indonesia and...
humbll
Watering my Siam Tulip
I found these beauties at our Lowes and HAD to have...
shelemiahisback
Dwarf Ginger
Are there any mail order nurseries that carry dwarf...
roserx
Hedychium 'tara' and 'disney'
Does anyone grow both tara and disney and/or know what...
shane11
ginger forum
Ginger or ginger root is the rhizome of the plant Zingiber...
spageopriya
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™