Hedychium marginatum.. or other 'reds'?

mecontusNovember 25, 2008

I have been searching for a beautiful Hedychium I saw about 20 years ago years ago with dark red flowers. This one looks like it may be it, but it doesn't seem to be in cultivation, or at least nobody is talking about it on the web.. which I'd find hard to believe if its out there! Anybody growing Hedychium marginatum?

Another one I have been seeing offered online with red flowers is H. greenii.. but its so hard to tell from the photos posted on the Internet (I have a sneaking suspicion it has pinkish to orange-y flowers like H. coccineum). Can anyone tell me does H. greenii look anything close to this?

Thanks for your help with either one.

Mike

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
abekhoury(z8A Ga)

I have H. greenii and it has large orange red flowers similar to your photo but mine is a little more red.

Bookmark   December 21, 2008 at 11:35PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mecontus

Thanks Abe.. I read with great interest that you said "...more red". I can't tell you how much it helps to get a firsthand description of somebody who is growing one of them.

Over the holidays an international expert in gingers actually took a look at my photo, and recognized it as a local [to India] form of H. greenii with 'tubular' bracts.. while most of the ones we grow here have 'imbricate' bracts.

The more I consider the evidence, it must have been an H. greenii I saw so long ago. I reckon I'll know this summer when it flowers!

Mike

Bookmark   January 14, 2009 at 2:21PM
More Discussions
book: Gingers of Peninsular Malaysia and Singapore?
Hello, I'm looking for information about torch ginger...
shahart
ginger dormancy -- detailed desired
This topic was brought up in the Vegetable Gardening...
daninthedirt
Help with Ginger ID please
Hi everyone - I live on the east coast of Australia...
splinter1804
Hedychium flavum / wardii
I ordered this one from eBay, and it was posted with...
HoosierBob SW Indiana Zone 5
container growing
What size pots are best for growing Hedychium?
shane11
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™