first snake of the year

bmmalone(7)May 4, 2008

yes, today was the day! The good thing was that it was a garden snake and not a copperhead! Also saw first humming bird today (my feeder has only been up a few days). Other that that everything in the garden seems to be doing well.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
killerv(Macon)

I about got a black snake with the weed eater the other day. I don't have problems with copperheads until the fall. Those are some mean little devils.

Bookmark   May 5, 2008 at 7:23AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mayland

we have seen 3 small garden snakes in our flower beds.

Last weekend, we saw a small snake on some grass in our front yard that had black-ish markings on its back (perhaps diamonds, but i didnt linger very long to look!) and it rattled at my husband (he hadn't seen it and almost stepped on it). It was right after that cold night we had last week, so maybe it was a little slow-moving and hadn't got out of his way.

I hadn't realised there are rattlesnakes here! We have a lot of ivy on our property (less and less as we keep ripping it out, but the neighbors' lots are covered) and a small creek across the street from our house. I'm not looking forward to meeting a copperhead!

Bookmark   May 5, 2008 at 10:08AM
More Discussions
N. Ga. Mountain region
We've purchased a home with what appear to be 6 established...
eagleap_gw Zone 10
Lake hartwell
Does anyone live on or near the lake? My husband saw...
josephene_gw
free partially bags of fertilizer, lime, etc.
Can't move these. I have partial bags of fertilizer,...
Tricia
winter veggies in straw bale garden?
I have used the straw bale gardening method in spots...
katy_bug
Plumerias
Would anyone like some plumeria trees. I post this...
ricky_23
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™