Gardenia not branching

bveronicoDecember 6, 2013

I was gifted a gardenia, probably from a bodega down the block so not the best source or care before I got it. The plant is maybe 8 inches tall now which is only a couple inches taller than when I received it at the start of the year. I've read up as much as possible and searched pictures but can't find any gardenia that looks as small as mine nor can I find out when it should start branching out.

The main stalk is as thin as a bamboo skewer (the thin ones!). I've tried pinching the growing point multiple times, but either it has no effect or it grows two sets of leaves on each side of the middle, instead of only one new set, then the main stalk continues to produce upwards.

The leaves are dark, wide and healthy looking. I keep a dish of water under the pot saucer for humidity and it gets good light in a South facing window since I brought it home. The soil may not be the best but I didn't think repotting it before a year has gone by was a good idea.

When will it start branching out or how can I make it branch out?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tolip(Tropical)

Just let the plant grow to about 3feet tall and then maybe the top may branch a bit. In the mean time new branches will emerge from the bottom. Each of these will again grow to about 3ft tall and it goes on this way. This is typically how gardenias grow.

Bookmark   December 7, 2013 at 9:01AM
Tolip(Tropical)

Just let the plant grow to about 3feet tall and then maybe the top may branch a bit. In the mean time new branches will emerge from the bottom. Each of these will again grow to about 3ft tall and it goes on this way. This is typically how gardenias grow.

Bookmark   December 7, 2013 at 9:02AM
bveronico

Thank you Tolip! I had no idea they had to get so big before they would branch! I will stop worrying about it (and try to stop knocking it out off of the windowsill which I did right after typing my question last night - LOL)

Thanks again!

Bookmark   December 7, 2013 at 10:39AM
More Discussions
Chimonanthus Praecox Wintersweet in Zone 6?
The Chinese Winterswwet (Chimonanthus Praecox) is listed...
redsun9
Jasmine sambac 'MOO' growth habit
I've seen other posts about the scrufulous habit of...
dbarron
Randia ruiziana (Angel of the Night) flower bud?
I don't know but I sure hope so! I've been noticing...
Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
Magnolia macclurei
Magnolia macclurei (Michelia macclurei) blooming images. Do...
jujujojo_gw
Blooming in January!
Happy New Year everyone! Narcissus tazetta - Chinese...
true_blue
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™