Butternut Squash. No frost - when to harvest?

hotzcatz(Hamakua, Hawaii)January 2, 2013

Well, some folks recommend waiting for first frost before harvesting these butternut squash. We don't get frost around here, so what's to do? When should we harvest? There are some almost ripe looking squash on the vines but there are also new flowers and the vines are still growing longer. Several of the older fruits are almost tan all over, although there is still a bit of a green shade to them.

Usually, when planting something for the first time in our garden, the back of the seed packet will mention how long until harvest and that gets noted on the calendar. However, a neighbor brought over a couple of small squash seedlings so no seed packet to look at for advice. The neighbor has never grown these squash before and doesn't know when to harvest and they don't have the seed packet anymore. I've not grown much squash but watermelons are harvested when tendrils near the melon turn brown. Is it the same with Butternut squash?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
farmerdill

Butternuts like most winter squash can be harvested when the skin becomes too hard to dent with a finger nail. In the case of the butternut, I would wait until the squash is entirely tan.

Bookmark   January 2, 2013 at 6:07PM
More Discussions
Palav Kadoo
Cucurbita moschata 'Palav Kadoo' was developed in central...
acorneti
Using a Hot House cover to keep away bugs
HI All, I have been trying to grow pumpkins here for...
jokuehn
Please help ID the problem
This year my kabocha bears 5 fruits but one by one,...
otcay
How to ammend soil and seed timing
We live on a rocky hillside in Southern California....
Suzi AKA DesertDance
Blue Gyroscope
Cucurbita maxima 'Blue Gyroscope' is a cross with mother...
acorneti
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™