Question about frozen gourd seeds

catherinet(5 IN)January 4, 2008

Hi all,

This is my first year growing birdhouse and dipper gourds (not to be confused with Tipper Gores).

They are drying on my covered porch and are occasionally getting frozen, which I've heard is fine. But I just read the other day that even though the gourds can stand the cold, the seeds cannot, and they probably won't be viable for next year. Have any of you found that some of them can make it through a cold winter (zone 5)? Would I just take a sample next spring/summer and try to sprout them indoors and guestimate what the percentage is? How long would those take to sprout, if they were going to? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Many seeds are stored frozen, including gourd seeds, and retain their viability for years. Also, many of us dry our gourds on the vine out in the weather so doubt you'll find much problem. If the seeds are rattling loose in the gourd you can go ahead and crack it open, air dry the seeds well indoors, and then store till spring in a paper envelope.

They will sprout in 6-10 days in the spring but as gourds need a long growing season, I always pre-start mine at the same time I start my tomato transplants. Then you have a good sized, well established plant to transplant out once the weather warms.

Good luck and enjoy your gourds. ;)

Dave

Bookmark   January 4, 2008 at 12:55PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
catherinet(5 IN)

Thanks Dave!

Bookmark   January 4, 2008 at 2:01PM
More Discussions
Pie off between Baby Blue Hubbard and Winter Luxury Pie Pumpkin
We made pies from both squashes and the family decided...
springtogarden
Nadym pink
C. maxima 'Nadym pink' (Np) is as a sibbling of Nadym...
acorneti
Will this ever result in an actual pumpkin?
Hi everyone, I'm a newbie. I experimented with planting...
stephiepoopy
Pumpkins turning yellow/withering
I'm trying to grow some Jarrahdale pumpkins but they...
Straylian
More phloem for more transportation of assimilates
http://environment.harvard.edu/news/faculty-news/biggest-ever-fruit-world-0 Here...
acorneti
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™