dried squash recipe

david52 Zone 6January 24, 2007

Hi there, I just found this particular forum. We grow an abundance of all kinds of winter squash every year, and thought I'd pass along something we've recently discovered, now that some of the '06 harvest is getting a tad orange around the gills. We're making dried squash leather, much the same as fruit leather.

The basic formula is to take about an oven load of squash, rinse off, cut in half, scoop out the seeds, and bake for an hour and a bit at 350. Let cool, scoop out the flesh, mash that up, and spread it out on sheets in the dehydrator.

Plain, it gives a very intense pumpkin flavor, which is not for everybody. We then tried spicing it up like pumpkin pie, but the drying process seems to loose most of the spice flavor and what is left gets bitter. The best thing we've found is adding the juice from a few lemons and limes, preferably a bit heavy on the limes. For a gallon of squash purée, about 1 lemon and 4 limes seems to do it.

This is pretty good stuff. When its dried, I just tear it in rough pieces and put it a ziplock bag, and my kids take it for snacks to school, skiing, and so on.

It also is a great way to use up those enormous banana squash, and we had half a dozen huge Maria d'Chiogga that nobody knew what to do with.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gourd_friends(z5/6 IL)

That sounds like a good way to use up the fall bounty. I don't have any right now, but will keep the directions handy for the next bumper crop.

Thanks,
Jan

Bookmark   January 25, 2007 at 4:54PM
david52 Zone 6

Well, I just got a frantic, apologetic call from UPS. I had sent several lbs of this to my daughter who is off in college, and the box was found, pilfered and empty, and they needed a list of contents and a way of proving its value.

You sort of wonder what the guy who stole it thinks. Risk your job to haul off a box and inside; dried apples, dried tomatoes, and dried squash.

Bookmark   January 26, 2007 at 7:27PM
gourd_friends(z5/6 IL)

Sorry, I'm having a laugh at your expense. The thief probably thinks he's found the new "magic mushroom".

Too bad for your daughter, I'm sure she was ready to enjoy some goodies from home.

Jan

Bookmark   January 26, 2007 at 9:45PM
More Discussions
Argentine Primitive
Who sells or swaps seed of Cucurbita maxima 'Argentine...
acorneti
Splendid SquashSwap...What are you growing this year?
Hi guys! I am hosting a pumpkin and squash seed swap!...
fresc1000
More phloem for more transportation of assimilates
http://environment.harvard.edu/news/faculty-news/biggest-ever-fruit-world-0 Here...
acorneti
Is There A Black Pumpkin?
I'll say up front I'm fairly sure the answer is "No,...
Edymnion
Nadym pink
C. maxima 'Nadym pink' (Np) is as a sibbling of Nadym...
acorneti
Sponsored Products
Scala Light Ottoman - SILVER/GRAY
$1,999.00 | Horchow
Breeze Ruffle Decorative Pillow
$149.00 | FRONTGATE
Serena & Lily Diamond Pillow Cover
Serena & Lily
Pineapple Swivel Counter Height Bar Stool (26"H Seat)
$499.00 | FRONTGATE
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Lanart Rugs Soleil Espresso 5 ft. x 7 ft. 6 in.
Home Depot
Ottoman Stripe Red 24 x 24 Decorative Pillow
$80.95 | Bellacor
Kara Stripe Outdoor Rug - 2'3" x 7'6"
Grandin Road
Hopson Sectional - Key Largo Ruby Red
Joybird Furniture
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™