Zuke name help please?

noinwiJanuary 15, 2011

Would anyone know the name of this zucchini? I grew out the last of my seed two seasons ago and didn't think to save any more. They were purchased from a greenhouse that had them in bulk several years ago where I used to live, so no name.

I received a pack of zuke seeds from someone last season, and although they produced well, the leaves were larger, rounder, and more easily damaged in our heavy rain storms. I know that the type of leaves aren't the best reason to choose a zuke plant, but I like the way they stood up to the pummeling rain and the silver mottling looked nice in the front yard container.

I tried looking at online catalogs, but the photos show only the fruit. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mrs.b_in_wy(5a WY)

Sadly, it's a tough question. I guess I should say it's a tough question for me, anyway. Someone else may come along who recognizes the variety right off.

If someone can't ID the exact cultivar, though, would you be happy with finding a variety with deeply cut, silver-mottled leaves?

I don't have a green one with those traits, though I do have a few seeds of a gold one. Unfortunately, its provenance is similar to that of yours: bulk seeds, labeled "Gold Zucchini," at a local garden center. I've grown the "Gold NOID" for five seasons I believe. No complaints about it. Let me know if you'd like a few seeds.

Maybe other gardeners will chime in, too, with suggestions for other varieties with the leaf traits you described.

Bookmark   January 16, 2011 at 10:49AM
noinwi

Your offer is appreciated, but I've always preferred the green zukes. It was a shot in the dark I know, I was just hoping someone would recognize the variety. I will probably start perusing the seed racks when they're available locally and see if I can spot a pack with a photo of similar leaves. Otherwise, I'll use what I have and place it where the damaged leaves won't be so visible...unfortunately, that also means where the deer can get to it more easily.
Thanks for your response.

Bookmark   January 16, 2011 at 1:16PM
mrs.b_in_wy(5a WY)

You're certainly welcome. Best of luck on your zucchini quest.

Bookmark   January 16, 2011 at 8:56PM
More Discussions
Please help ID the problem
This year my kabocha bears 5 fruits but one by one,...
otcay
Pumpkins turning yellow/withering
I'm trying to grow some Jarrahdale pumpkins but they...
Straylian
Fresh -dried Ugu(Fluted Pumkin leaves,pods,and seeds available
I have ample supplies of ugu leaves and seeds for sale.Please...
cliff-brazil
Blue Gyroscope
Cucurbita maxima 'Blue Gyroscope' is a cross with mother...
acorneti
Best way to weatherproof birdhouse gourd?
I made some birdhouses from gourds 2 years ago. Made...
sandlady
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™