winter squashes for my kennel

dilwen(zone7 eastcoast)January 13, 2013

A few years ago we bought an outdoor dog kennel to give our indoor cats some outdoor time. The cats are no longer using it, and I would like to try growing some winter squashes up it. It is six foot high, and very sturdy, I think. I was thinking of something like Sweet Dumpling, but I'm hoping to try something a bit bigger. I'm pretty sure the trellis can handle the weight of the vines just fine, but I'm wondering how small the squash would have to be to keep gravity from snapping the fruit off the vines. A squash that is sweet and not too watery would be nice. Any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
katkeeper36

I'm doing the same thing this coming season. Vertical is the way to go....supposedly should be super nice with the increased air-flow from underneath. I'm keeping to 2 - 4 pounders ( I got many of my seeds from ebay ). I'm growing on the trellis Table Queen Acorn, Delicata ( Sweet Potato ) and Red Kuri Squash. ...
Also you may want to look on Youtube...I saw some videos on people growing gourds this way....BIG ones too...it will be reassuring. Check for my post in this section...see what you think of my squash arbor...good luck

Bookmark   February 17, 2013 at 8:05PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dilwen(zone7 eastcoast)

Thanks for replying. I'm hoping I can grow something 4 or 5 pounds. I've been looking at some of the Japanese squashes available at Baker Creek, and I really like to grow one of the if I can. I guess my main concern is that it is too vertical. Some of the squash trellises I've seen are arches. I'll check out youtube

Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 10:08PM
More Discussions
Lloyd-ellipsoid
It's hard to grow C. moschata in hardiness Zone 6,...
acorneti
Palav Kadoo
Cucurbita moschata 'Palav Kadoo' was developed in central...
acorneti
Using a Hot House cover to keep away bugs
HI All, I have been trying to grow pumpkins here for...
jokuehn
Melon-gresskar 'Mandela'
Cucurbita maximelo "Nelson Mandela's Sun"...
acorneti
Blue Gyroscope
Cucurbita maxima 'Blue Gyroscope' is a cross with mother...
acorneti
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™