anything new for 2012?

brookw_gwJanuary 12, 2012

After a very disappointing squash/pumpkin season last year, I'm cutting down considerably on the number of varieties for this year. As much as I love heirlooms, I'm also trying more hybrids this year. I was very impressed with Avalon butternut and would like to try out a couple other hybrids. My main crop butternuts tho' will be the Tahitians. A new spaghetti squash will be Stripetti, and a new delicata will be Honey Boat. Speckled Pup, bat wing acorn, and Orange Cutie will be added. I'll still have over a dozen weird heirlooms, but nothing like the past two years.

The demand for regular pumpkins has me trying Camaro, Corvette, and Mustang. Knuckleheads, Goosebumps, and Cinderellas will also increase. Smaller-sized pumpkins will remain the same.

I'll plant about the same amount of gourds as last year as I've still got about 8 bushels left over from 2 years ago. I liked the Daisy series but was unimpressed with the winged gourds.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
farmerdill

If you interested in novelties try Porcelian Doll

Bookmark   January 14, 2012 at 11:54AM
brookw_gw

Thanks. I'm always up for something new. Is that a pumpkin, squash, or gourd? Did a Google search and came up empty.

Bookmark   January 16, 2012 at 3:39AM
farmerdill

Porcelain doll is an introduction from DP Seeds. It is a 20 25 lb shocking pink pumpkin released so growers can have for breast cancer awareness month. http://www.thepacker.com/fruit-vegetable-news/Pink-Pumpkin-Patch-to-aid-cancer-research-134034643.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Porcelain Doll

Bookmark   January 16, 2012 at 6:22PM
brookw_gw

Awesome!! This one's definitely going to make my inventory list. Thank you very much for the link.

Brook

Bookmark   January 17, 2012 at 10:41AM
halecards

I'm growing a lot of new things this year! For squash: Spaghetti squash, Hubbard squash, Carnival squash, and Turks Turban squash. For pumpkins: Connecicut Field, Howden, Small World of Color, Red Warty Thing, Jamboree, Rumbo, Gurneys Giant Magic Hybrid, Big Max, Jack be little, Baby Boo White, Wolf, Galeuse D Eysines, Cinderella, and Howden Biggie!

Bookmark   February 12, 2012 at 9:10PM
brookw_gw

That's a really nice assortment. I noticed on your other post you sell. Some really great sellers for me have been Knucklehead and Goosebumps. Cinderella also sells out quickly. I actually profit more on small pumpkins though. One hill of pie pumpkins, like Small Sugar, produces far more $2 pumpkins than a hill of regular pumpkins that make a couple $3-4 pumpkins. Of all my winter squashes, butternuts are hands down the most popular. Good luck this year.

Bookmark   February 15, 2012 at 10:30AM
pendog66

new ones for this year are Pik-A-Pies, Lumina, and Appalachian F1

Bookmark   February 15, 2012 at 2:26PM
halecards

Thank you! Yeah, last year was a start for me, but this year I'm hoping to have more and bigger pumpkins! I'm excited to grow the winter squashes too, some are really cool looking! Good luck to you too!

Bookmark   February 15, 2012 at 10:34PM
Campanula UK Z8

A new one for the british market - Autumn Crown, a hybrid between butternot (does not always ripen in an english summer) and Crown Prince (which is reliably fast. Looks like a smaller Crown Prince but the same honey colour as butternut.

Bookmark   March 20, 2012 at 6:10PM
Lazey(5)

A lot of what I am trying this year I tried last year but got cleaned out by bugs. I have so many different seeds this year I had to make a list in a word processor... Here are all squash/gourds/pumpkins:

Gourds:
Birdhouse
Small Fancy Mix

Pumpkins:
Dill's Atlantic Giant
Early Sugar pie
Williams Naked Seeded

Summer squash:
Crookneck, Early Golden
Scallop, Early White Bush
Scallop, Yellow Bush
Straightneck, Early Prolific
Straightneck, Early Yellow
Zucchini, Dark Green
Zucchini, Goldtender
Zucchini, Grey Gourmet Hybrid
Zucchini, Greyzini
Zucchini, Round (grey)

Winter squash:
Acorn Squash
Banana, Pink Jumbo
Buttercup, Burgess (Winter Harvest Mix)
Butternut, Waltham (Winter Harvest Mix)
Delicata (Winter Harvest Mix)
Hubbard, Golden
Hubbard, True Green Improved
Spaghetti, Vegetable (Winter Harvest Mix)
Victor (Red warty thing)

I've grown pumpkin before, and regular green zuchinnis, crooknecks and straightnecks, but a lot of the varieties will be new for me. This is my first time trying to grow gourds, as I usual grow for food, not decoration.

Bookmark   April 4, 2012 at 5:51PM
Lazey(5)

Adding Casper, Lumina and green striped cushaw to my list.

Bookmark   April 24, 2012 at 7:02AM
grow_your_own

Only doing 3 varieties of squash, -but they're all new to me.

Anna Schwartz Hubbard
Potimarron
Boston Marrow

Bookmark   June 15, 2012 at 2:05AM
xxx1angel3xxx(8)

I'm only doing summer squash this year but, I'm starting.
Burpee's fordhook
early white scallop (doing really good)
49er
and kazi's kross

Bookmark   June 20, 2012 at 1:03AM
More Discussions
Melon-gresskar 'Mandela'
Cucurbita maximelo "Nelson Mandela's Sun"...
acorneti
Palav Kadoo
Cucurbita moschata 'Palav Kadoo' was developed in central...
acorneti
This year's winter squash winners and losers
This year I tried the following C Maxima squashes....
tcstoehr
Is There A Black Pumpkin?
I'll say up front I'm fairly sure the answer is "No,...
Edymnion
How to ammend soil and seed timing
We live on a rocky hillside in Southern California....
Suzi AKA DesertDance
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™