Counting branching

flora2b(z6a bc)July 28, 2012

I'm new enough to this process and wondered how you counted branching on a scape.

When I look at this scape I see 5 branches....does a branch constitute more than one flower on the end?

Thanks,

Flora

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shive(6b TN)

Most hybridizers will not count a branch officially unless it has more than one bud. If you lowest branch had more than one flower, I would say it was 5-way branching. Keep in mind though that tight top branching is not a good trait because multiple flowers will not be able to open well.

Debra

Bookmark   July 28, 2012 at 1:31PM
flora2b(z6a bc)

Thanks Debra,
That makes total sense, especially when we are trying for large flowers.
So, when the breeder states good branching is it more likely the spacing or amount of branches they are talking about?

Bookmark   July 28, 2012 at 3:06PM
shive(6b TN)

Flora -I think "good branching" indicates a daylily with several side branches that are well spaced on the scape. I have a seedling that I am evaluating that is mainly top branched with a high number of buds. The first year I didn't see any problems. But this year when two to three flowers were opening at a time, not all of them had the space to fully open properly. So I now look at that seedling as a bridge plant rather than an intro, even though everyone who sees the bloom raves about it.

Debra

Bookmark   July 28, 2012 at 4:01PM
dementieva(Zone 9 - Houston)

When a breeder states "good branching," my impression is that they are trying to sell you a plant.

;)

Nate

Bookmark   July 29, 2012 at 9:59PM
More Discussions
Voles have started....again!
Have found the first vole tunnel in a while...in the...
organic_kitten
Clean up and beautify Garden Web!
You can add an extension to your browser for Firefox...
Brad KY
Joan Derifield or Man of Sorrows
I would love to have both of these, but I'm thinking...
ruthz
naming a daylily
I have a few nice seedlings here but none that I would...
marricgardens
How cold can it get!
I am experimenting here!! seeing if I can start a...
Cindy zone 6a
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™