Show off your Live oak trees

poaky1June 18, 2014

I am in zone 6 Pa, but Love Live oak trees. Can anyone show off their Live oak trees? I have tried to grow them here. Last winter killed 2 of mine back to the lower trunk. It was a rather harsh one here. Anyone want to show off their Live oaks? I am growing a Hybrid of Live oak and Overcup oak here, besides the other Live oaks, but the pure Live oaks are unique. There isn't any other oak that is just like it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
poaky1

I am gonna bump this post. I am kinda surprised nobody has any Live oaks to show off in Ga, though. I guess many have succumbed to oak wilt.

Bookmark   July 12, 2014 at 1:35AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gator_rider2(z8 Ga.)

I don't have way show images my trees. One thing need no about live oak they take large space. Other thing you need cut bark on trunk when tree gets about 4" in diameter so double in size in one year bark gets too tight and tree want grow fast on young tree a hawkbill knife work old tree use hatchet cut bark cut from overhead to low as can go to ground a small tree cut 2 places this heal up fast by new bark older tree 4 places. You be amazed how fast grow. Cut bark early spring 5' to 6' foot straight down trunk if has Y crotch don't cut in that line down. On young tree can cut one single cut down bark. Live oak drop leaves twice year spring and fall cut bark before spring leaves fall.

Here is a link that might be useful: Click more images

Bookmark   July 25, 2014 at 9:33AM
More Discussions
Where to find African Violets in Atlanta
Does anyone that uses this forum know a nursery in...
frankielynnsie
free partially bags of fertilizer, lime, etc.
Can't move these. I have partial bags of fertilizer,...
Tricia
Pomegranate tree
Will a pomegranate tree grow amd produce fruit in GA?...
natalie4b
N. Ga. Mountain region
We've purchased a home with what appear to be 6 established...
eagleap_gw Zone 10
Lake hartwell
Does anyone live on or near the lake? My husband saw...
josephene_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™