How to maximize peach sweetness before picking?

garedneckJune 19, 2009

My early july elberta peaches are ripening and wanted to know if there a few little things to be done to the tree or soil at this stage to maximize flavor or sweetness? Pick in morning,? Pick in afternoon after full sun? Keep tree well watered each morning? Add some fertilizer? Don't water tree? I know to pick when fragrant with peach aroma and soft to the touch.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ladywindsurfer(Z7 SE)

Probably the best solution is to withhold water, that will allow sugars to concentrate in the fruit.
Some growers in CA do that and some do not. You can sure tell the difference in the sweetness of the fruit.

Drought stressed plants produce more flowers and if pollinated, more fruit (viable seed), that has enough stored energy (sugars & starches) to produce and sustain it's offspring.

Bookmark   June 19, 2009 at 10:26AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
garedneck

Thanks ladywindsurfer.

I have read some use a product of crushed granite sprayed on the leaves a few days before harvest and or a solution of kelp to help raise sweetness sightly. The county extension agent thought kelp might help, but there wasn't anything proven except to not water beforehand.

Bookmark   June 25, 2009 at 8:35AM
More Discussions
Help in Southern IL
I moved from NW GA to near St Louis, Paduch, the Ohio...
organic_gardenhag
Howdy Folks!
Any of the old regulars still around? I have been...
vroomp
have: have: composted horse manure
I have composted horse manure on my farm, looking to...
horsecompost
N. Ga. Mountain region
We've purchased a home with what appear to be 6 established...
eagleap_gw Zone 10
Lake hartwell
Does anyone live on or near the lake? My husband saw...
josephene_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™