Why are my gourds thin-skinned ?

sunita(India)February 24, 2009

Is there any reason why my gourds are all thin-skinned rather than thick? I was told that given certain conditions gourds can become thicker-skinned. Is that true or am I just growing gourds which are naturally thin-skinned?

I usually sow the seeds during our monsoons in June - Sept. That is traditionally the time when all gourds are grown here in Mumbai (India).

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
farmerdilla

Don't know. Gourds come in different species. Also the "hard shell"gourds (Lagenaria siceraria) are grown in India and southeast Asia as a food crop. I would expect that they would put a premium on a thin skin.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gourds

Bookmark   February 25, 2009 at 3:42PM
sunita(India)

Thanks for the link, farmerdilla. You're right, gourds, especially bottlegourds are mainly used as a food crop and the thin skin is handy for that. But I use the round variety of bottlegourds (I'm sorry, they dont go by any other name here) for crafting and the thin skin is a disaster for that. I would have thought that when it is left to mature and dry the skin would also become thick but it doesnt. Would it have anything to do with the extra moisture during the monsoon season. Does anybody know?

Bookmark   February 26, 2009 at 2:12AM
farmerdilla

I have no idea. There are round bottle gourds like Bhoomi which are grown for food. Calabash , birdhouse and like hardshell gourds are used for crafts in this country. The shells when dried are not necessarily thick but very hard. Not in the same class but Tinda is a small round gourd gaining rapidly in this country as an edible.

Here is a link that might be useful: Indian Gourds

Bookmark   February 26, 2009 at 7:07PM
More Discussions
Is There A Black Pumpkin?
I'll say up front I'm fairly sure the answer is "No,...
Edymnion
Nadym pink
C. maxima 'Nadym pink' (Np) is as a sibbling of Nadym...
acorneti
Splendid SquashSwap...What are you growing this year?
Hi guys! I am hosting a pumpkin and squash seed swap!...
fresc1000
Best way to weatherproof birdhouse gourd?
I made some birdhouses from gourds 2 years ago. Made...
sandlady
More phloem for more transportation of assimilates
http://environment.harvard.edu/news/faculty-news/biggest-ever-fruit-world-0 Here...
acorneti
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™