Growing squash vertically ~ pointers welcome

katkeeper36February 17, 2013

So I got some rabbits in my yard as well as a monster fat hedgehog, ow I don't mind them being around ~ Just don't eat my damn squash leaves!

My plan is to grow 5 squash, 1 in each 5gall bucket. 2 Acorn Squash, 1 Red Kuri, 2 Delicata's. All of these are on the small side hopefully let them grow and dangle down for the season ( seen it in a gourd video on YouTube ).

( I've already built this ) 7 feet high by 5 feet across and 8 feet out..all 1inch PVC piping. Across the top I have that rope trellis netting ( 60 pound strength ) secured.... this set up will be secured on the climbing side to a 5ft high chain link fence....so all in all I have approx 65 sq feet of space for 5 squash plants ( which will also be surrounded by Nastrium plants and Borage ). The trellis netting isn't finalized but the PVC is cut/painted and glued already.

Any thoughts or ideas? Constructive critisim only peeps, condesenders need not reply

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
katkeeper36

this is the roof section. FYI i used Krylon Fusion spray paint ( for plastic and PVC )

Bookmark   February 17, 2013 at 11:19AM
catherinet(5 IN)

I would probably line the end and even the top with wire like welded utility wire or panels of concrete reinforcing wire. Squash seem to like the smaller wire to wrap their tendrils around. I tihnk the fencing would be better than netting (and stronger too).
I think I would also put maybe 2-3' chicken wire around the tubs. Don't you think the animals could easily reach on top of the tubs/containers and yank them out or chew them off from the ground? Also, once the squash start hanging down, you might want to support them with something like nylon hosiery, so they don't break off. Good luck!

Bookmark   March 2, 2013 at 5:34PM
catherinet(5 IN)

P.S. I also wanted to add that you might consider using 4 metal stakes pounded into the ground at each corner and attached to your PVC pipe, just to stabilize it, should you get gusts of wind. You could just attach them with tight bungee cords.

Bookmark   March 3, 2013 at 11:37AM
katkeeper36

Thanks forur input...I was thinking about drilling the PVC and sliding in some thin metal dowels to reduce the open spaces by 50%...then the trellis netting. Also, i plan on driving some re-rod bars into the ground and will slide the PVC over them. Lastly, on the 5gallon bucket side of this trellis/arbor I cut an additional 1 ft off the verticals....so it will slope me towards the sun and not so high for the squash to climb b4 it makes it to the roof. I will post pics if desired when it is completed. Have a great Spring

Bookmark   March 11, 2013 at 3:35PM
More Discussions
Pie off between Baby Blue Hubbard and Winter Luxury Pie Pumpkin
We made pies from both squashes and the family decided...
springtogarden
How to ammend soil and seed timing
We live on a rocky hillside in Southern California....
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b
Pumpkins turning yellow/withering
I'm trying to grow some Jarrahdale pumpkins but they...
Straylian
Is There A Black Pumpkin?
I'll say up front I'm fairly sure the answer is "No,...
Edymnion
Splendid SquashSwap...What are you growing this year?
Hi guys! I am hosting a pumpkin and squash seed swap!...
fresc1000
Sponsored Products
Greenington Currant 5 Drawer Chest - Dark Walnut - G0029DW
Hayneedle
Hydrofarm Tomato Trellis Garden on Wheels GCTR - GCTR
$53.50 | Hayneedle
Purple Majesty Gladiolus Bulb - Set of 25
$14.99 | zulily
Red Kid's Beanbag Chair
$109.99 | zulily
Gardman Large Wooden Cold Frame Greenhouse - 7650
$94.99 | Hayneedle