Pumpkin seed my son...

meandmygardenFebruary 11, 2009

My son started a pumpkin seed this last week... I know it is to early... is there any way of saving this until I can plant it out side... It sprouded a few days ago.

Thanks I'm new... I live in MN

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
macmex

I'm afraid that would be VERY difficult. That plant would normally reach about 4-5' long and begin flowering in about 6 weeks. You'll be hard pressed to give it enough light, and it would require quite a large pot. Better to stand by with more seeds and help him plant in May.

George

Bookmark   February 12, 2009 at 12:24PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
eaglesgarden(6b - se PA)

If you are desperate you might be able to slow its growth down by keeping the temp low. But, how long before you are getting consistently warm temps in MN? I would think you have to make it all the way to May, correct?

If you have a greenhouse, you are in business, although it would end up taking up a huge amount of space. You could trellis it indoors to save some floor space.

I would imagine a cold frame would be both way too small and way too exposed, even at this point in the year to do much good.

Looks like the best option is to teach your son a lesson about planting time. I understand. I have had the itch to garden since December. I've occupied my time with plans, varieties, and architectural additions to my garden (new boxes and trellises this year!). Every opportunity is a chance to learn something. Don't let this one get by without your son learning some valuable lessons. He apparently (with guidance) has successfully gotten a plant to grow from seed. Depending on his age, that can be HUGE! If he's older, you could break apart the roots later and check the growth pattern of the roots. Everybody sees the tops, but the roots are usually out of view. You could teach him about the role of the roots and how truly vital they are to plant development and fruit set.

While he may be upset with losing his pumpkin, you may be able to really ignite a passion for gardening by showing him elements of growth that he wouldn't normally get to see.

Bookmark   February 20, 2009 at 8:17AM
More Discussions
wanted: seeds from a large pumpkin
My daughter would like to grow a giant pumpkin next...
hosta_miser
Pumpkins turning yellow/withering
I'm trying to grow some Jarrahdale pumpkins but they...
Straylian
Palav Kadoo
Cucurbita moschata 'Palav Kadoo' was developed in central...
acorneti
Using a Hot House cover to keep away bugs
HI All, I have been trying to grow pumpkins here for...
jokuehn
More phloem for more transportation of assimilates
http://environment.harvard.edu/news/faculty-news/biggest-ever-fruit-world-0 Here...
acorneti
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™