Growing pumpkins

halecardsFebruary 22, 2011

I'm planning on growing pumpkins this summer for profit. I have enough seeds, but how many hills and seeds should I plant? Also, how much space should I need? I grew pumpkins last year, but not this many. The pumpkins are connecticut field pumpkins.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
iam3killerbs(7 NC Sandhills)

Your local Ag Extension would probably be the best place to get this sort of information.

Bookmark   February 23, 2011 at 5:37PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grullablue(5)

My grandpa has been a pumpkin farmer all of my life (don't quite know when he started...I'm 36,). So been around pumpkins, planting, watering, weeding, picking, washing, selling..you name it...for many years.

You got your people who do it the way it says on the seed package...and you got your "old farmer" way who makes the most out of their land and still has a good crop. My grandpa was the latter.

I'm now growing pumpkins (not to sell, but for our use, and to give to friends and family, but have a decent sized family patch...ended up donating 20 or so to a church last year), and I do it the way my grandpa taught me. No hills, no rows... closer together than the package states (for their spacing, throw one more planting in between)...usually throw 2-3 seeds in per planting spot.

Well weeded, well watered...and no problem! I did, however, plant a few white pumpkins last year, and didn't get any out of them. But...I bought cheap, grocery store seeds. Just thought I'd give 'em a try. But...we had every size available.....was just bummed not to have any whites. I'll get me some GOOD white seeds this year!

Bookmark   March 1, 2011 at 9:55AM
More Discussions
Nadym pink
C. maxima 'Nadym pink' (Np) is as a sibbling of Nadym...
acorneti
Using a Hot House cover to keep away bugs
HI All, I have been trying to grow pumpkins here for...
jokuehn
Fresh -dried Ugu(Fluted Pumkin leaves,pods,and seeds available
I have ample supplies of ugu leaves and seeds for sale.Please...
cliff-brazil
How to ammend soil and seed timing
We live on a rocky hillside in Southern California....
Suzi AKA DesertDance
Kirbs Bjela Woda
In 2014 I created my first squash and pumpkins for...
acorneti
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™