Wish Me Luck, Dill's Atlantic Giant

Edymnion(7a)February 6, 2013

Welp, my seeds came in the other day. I'm holding in my hands seed for the famous Dill's Atlantic Giant pumpkin that I will be giving my best shot towards growing this year.

I don't plan on breaking any records, but it would be nice to get at least one "Oh my God that pumpkin is HUGE!" fruit out of them.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
HopsNCrops(6B)

"Tender loving care" that's all I have to say!

Bookmark   February 8, 2013 at 7:50PM
tcstoehr

What you will need for success is space, lots of space. Many square feet of moist, fertile soil is the key. That's why most backyard situations won't work very well. These plants are amazing at colonizing large areas, and consuming the sunshine and soil fertility afforded there. And that's what it takes to make the large fruits. If you give them a small bed of fertile soil and let the vines run over weeds, lawn and hardpan, you will get disappointing results. They need to raise their huge leaves into more and more sunshine, and sink their roots at every leaf joint into more and more moist, fertile soil as they branch and spread. The guys who raise the big'ns have large fields for this purpose.

Bookmark   March 7, 2013 at 1:32PM
Edymnion(7a)

Welp, I've got two vines going out back by the corn, with plenty of room to redirect vines around in. I have no delusions of breaking the 1 ton barrier, but I'd be overjoyed with one or two that at least break into 3 digit weights.

Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 7:47PM
Pumkinpie

I am going to try and grow a giant pumpkin. Watch this space. First job is to sow some seeds . I might try dills Atlantic giant although big max did me proud a couple of years ago.

Bookmark   April 19, 2013 at 11:33AM
ccabal(7)

Edymnion,
How are those pumpkins coming along?

Bookmark   June 8, 2013 at 1:43AM
Pun.King

siting here in august, wondering how big your pumpkin is, I am planning to grow my own Atlantic next year. Sure hope you got yourself a monster

Bookmark   August 15, 2013 at 1:07PM
More Discussions
Kirbs Bjela Woda
In 2014 I created my first squash and pumpkins for...
acorneti
Please help ID the problem
This year my kabocha bears 5 fruits but one by one,...
otcay
Palav Kadoo
Cucurbita moschata 'Palav Kadoo' was developed in central...
acorneti
Can't decide what to plant, help!
Ok, so we are a squash loving household. As in grew...
beesneeds
Pie off between Baby Blue Hubbard and Winter Luxury Pie Pumpkin
We made pies from both squashes and the family decided...
springtogarden
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™