need suggestions

audmendousJanuary 11, 2006

I need an ornamental grass that is hardy to zone 7 and will tolerate alkaline soil. I'd like it to be 1-2' tall without the seedheads. I have some lindheimer muhly that is just a little bigger than what I want. I had some gulf muhly that I loved, but it is an annual here. I've looked at some feather grasses. What do you all think about those? Thank you all!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donn_(7b-8a)

I started Stipa capillata and Nassella tenuissima from seed last year, and like them both very much. My soil is acid, but I don't think that matters much to either grass. I'll find out this spring if the Mexican Feather Grass over-wintered here, and I hope it does, because I bought a lot of seed. I like it well enough to grow it as an annual, but would prefer to have it return. The Stipa capillata will quite likely come back, but isn't as fine as the Nasella.

Another one I discovered by mistake is Eragrostis spectabilis, Purple Love Grass. It was traded as Pink Muhly, and is every bit as nice. It starts beautifully from seed and has stunning cloud-like infloresence over 12-18" foliage.

Bookmark   January 11, 2006 at 2:55PM
audmendous

Thanks, donn. I think I'm going to try all of them and see which one(s) I like the best. I'm really excited about the Eragrostis. It sounds like it looks like the gulf muhly. I appreciate the help!

Bookmark   January 13, 2006 at 2:12PM
Xtal(z8b Temple. TX)

I live in Central Texas with alkaline soil and I see a lot of Mexican Feather grass. Have you considered that? It gets about a foot tall.

Xtal

Bookmark   March 4, 2006 at 5:23PM
More Discussions
Link to picture of grasses?
Does anyone know a link where I can see what kind of...
tiver43809
Pennisetum Advena/Setaceum Rubrum
Hi. I recently fell in love with the above grasses...
kaydarling
Maiden grass
Is maiden grass too invasive to be nearby a septic...
nancy0852
Blue Dune Lyme Grass Seeds
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew a supplier for Blue...
ehunt123
Northwinds planting in Central TX
I am considering planting a dozen or so Northwinds...
jscaldwell
Sponsored Products
Lights Up | CanCan 2 Adjustable Table Lamp
$188.00 | YLighting
Princeton Purple Four-Light Chandelier with Clear Royal Cut Crystals
$260.00 | Bellacor
Catskill Deluxe Butcher Block Cart with Raised Panels and Backsplash - 61532
$253.50 | Hayneedle
Grandin Road Liberty Mail Post
Grandin Road
Eliot Leather U-Chaise Sectional - Brighton Volcano Brown
Joybird Furniture
simplehuman Rectangular Step Brushed Stainless Steel Recycler Trash Can (12 Gall
Overstock.com
Glass Lamp: 1-Light Table Lamp Frost Glass Shade Polished Steel Finish CLI-LS442
$80.55 | Home Depot
Copper Barrel Fountain - Antique Copper
Signature Hardware
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™