How Long do Dahlias Bloom?

tulips_or_bust(7b Atlanta)June 7, 2005

My Dahlias are blooming now - will they continue to bloom all summer and into the fall? Do I need to deadhead? I thought they bloomed later in the season, but here they are! Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kritterfarm(Z7/GA)

Hi Tulips or Bust....Wow that is early. The only one that I have that overwintered is no where near blooming. I think I actually got some from you at the Spring trade. They are up about 6 inches or so but then I planted them sort of late I guess. My experience in the past with dahlias is that they bloom most all Summer and yes I would definitely deadhead them. This should keep them reblooming.

Bookmark   June 7, 2005 at 7:25PM
laurelwoodfarms(z7 Ga)

My dahlia is absolutely covered in blooms. I've had this one 3 years, and I'm pretty sure it didn't start blooming until July last year. And once it starts blooming, it does bloom up to frost, with regular dead-heading.

Bookmark   June 8, 2005 at 1:53AM
Twinkle(7 GA)

I've got one that overwintered with no protection. It's blooming now and will continue until frost. Just cut off the dead blooms and enjoy!

Bookmark   June 8, 2005 at 8:17AM
kneecop(7 Long Island)

Mine are about 2 days away from flowering and they will last until the fall. Mine usually slow down a little in the heat of August but then pick back up in the cooler weather.

Bookmark   June 8, 2005 at 8:57AM
More Discussions
free partially bags of fertilizer, lime, etc.
Can't move these. I have partial bags of fertilizer,...
Tricia
Is anyone using rock dust in the garden?
I learned about rock dust a few days ago and I want...
kngskid
Insured Tree Removal Cmp recommendations
Is there a good INSURED & reasonable tree removal...
vnginger
Pomegranate tree
Will a pomegranate tree grow amd produce fruit in GA?...
natalie4b
Where to find African Violets in Atlanta
Does anyone that uses this forum know a nursery in...
frankielynnsie
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™