Is there more than one type of Basketball Gourd ?

glorybee(6b)March 16, 2006

Hi All,

I have purcased some basketball gourd seeds and then while doing research online I came across a site that mentioned that basketball gourd seed is black like watermelon seed.Well, the seeds I purchased are the brown kind.Is there more than one type.? I specifically wanted this kind of shape because gourds are relatively new to me and I want to try my hand at crafting with them and I don't want to plant something that might be different.

Thanks,

Heidi

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gourd_friends(z5/6 IL)

Hi Heidi,
First, where did you get the seed? If you bought it from a catalog, or other reputable seed company you should have nothing to worry about.
Second, other people's perceptions of what a seed should look like will differ to some extent. In other words, don't worry about what they say it should look like.
Third, plant them anyway..........you won't know if you don't try!

Jan

Bookmark   March 17, 2006 at 10:23AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
glorybee(6b)

Hi Jan,
First of all, I purchased them on ebay .So it does matter because of feedback being left.I want to make sure I am getting exactly what I purchased.What was advertised and pictured.Planting them anyway, is fine if you just want to wing it but I purchased them specifically to craft jack o lanterns out of them so shape matters.I intend on growing 5 different types of gourds and I am having my husband build seperate trellis's for them.As far as different peoples perception of what seed should look like is concerned.There is a really large difference between a black looking watermelon seeds and the brown seeds that I received.Before I email the seller about it I wanted to ask around first to make sure I have my facts straight.Thank you for your enthusiasm and help though :)

Thanks,
Heidi

Bookmark   March 17, 2006 at 1:49PM
More Discussions
More phloem for more transportation of assimilates
http://environment.harvard.edu/news/faculty-news/biggest-ever-fruit-world-0 Here...
acorneti
This year's winter squash winners and losers
This year I tried the following C Maxima squashes....
tcstoehr
? for birdhouse gourd expert growers
Just for giggles I bought a $2 pack of birdhouse gourd...
donnywayne1
Fresh -dried Ugu(Fluted Pumkin leaves,pods,and seeds available
I have ample supplies of ugu leaves and seeds for sale.Please...
cliff-brazil
New Blue Banana
Guatemala and other blue banana squash fruits are known...
acorneti
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™