How much room for winter squash?

consecratedMarch 22, 2010

I have two 5'x15' raised beds in my garden... "sectioned" into 5'x5' areas. Both beds will have a block of corn and beans at one end filling a 5x5 section. The other end I have peanuts in one bed, and a bee hive in the other.

The middle 5x5 section I would like to plant some varieties of winter squash. I have some seeds... All are vine squash ... a hybrid kabocha (Confection), a "sweet meat" and a butternut.

My plan was to have 4 plants in each of the middle 5x5 sections... and train them into the corn and along the outside edge of the bed. Obviously I would not train them into the peanuts... but I could train them to a small extent around the beehive.

Is 4 squash plants too many? Comments? Advice? I have not seen squash grown since I was a kid... which was awhile ago. Thank you for comments!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
farmerdilla

Those cultivar will grow 10-15 ft vines, As long as you have someplace for them to run, you should be ok. I usually plant them two to a hill on eight foot centers. In a raised bed with heavily enhanced soil you should get away with four to a hill.

Bookmark   March 23, 2010 at 8:11AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
consecrated

Should I place the 4 plants close together in one generalized location in the 5x5 area, or space them out a bit?

Bookmark   March 23, 2010 at 3:02PM
More Discussions
How to ammend soil and seed timing
We live on a rocky hillside in Southern California....
Suzi AKA DesertDance
Using a Hot House cover to keep away bugs
HI All, I have been trying to grow pumpkins here for...
jokuehn
New Blue Banana
Guatemala and other blue banana squash fruits are known...
acorneti
HAVE: Round Robin SquashSwap
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/roundrobin/msg011538403422.html?6...
fresc1000
Can't decide what to plant, help!
Ok, so we are a squash loving household. As in grew...
beesneeds
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™