Hypericum (St. John's Wort) - dependable summer shrubs

esh_gaJune 23, 2011

Sometimes a particular plant captures your attention - that seems to be true for me these days with the many species of St. John's Wort (Hypericum). These are considered shrubs and are suitable for full sun. In general they bloom in the summer and have bright yellow flowers and blue-green foliage.

Here are 4 that I have photographed recently, 3 in my yard and the 4th in a friend's garden.

Hypericum hypericoides, St. Andrew's Cross, low growing form:

Hypericum densiflorum, Bushy St. John's Wort, tolerant of wet conditions (this one is in a wheelbarrow full of water):

Hypericum punctatum, Spotted St. John's Wort, rather small, the size of a medium perennial, this just shows the characteristic spots on the back side of the flower ("punctatum" means spotted):

Hypericum frondosum 'Sunburst', Golden St. John's Wort cultivar, growing here in a large pot, very handsome flowers and foliage:

If you are in need of a sunny shrub, consider St. John's Wort (but not Hypericum perforatum - that one is not native).

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
girlgroupgirl(8 ATL)

Nice posting Esh. Thank-you for introducing us to such pretty native plants!

Bookmark   June 23, 2011 at 11:42PM
rosiew(8 GA)

Looking for pruning advice for Hypericum densiflorum, or rather should say I'd love to prune my large shrub back, but read it should be done in early Spring. Esh, what say ye?

Absolutely love the foliage texture, loose habit, and the huge numbers of flowers it produces.

Bookmark   June 24, 2011 at 8:25AM
esh_ga

I think early spring would be best, but after flowering would be second choice. We got a bunch of them donated for the GNPS sale and I had to whack them back hard. They responded well to that (Feb/Mar).

The bark is very nice; this plant needs more exposure in the public. Maybe if I give bobbygil a small one he will upgrade my sandwich to a combo.

Bookmark   June 24, 2011 at 8:41AM
bobbygil(7)

I have hypericum Creels Gold that I got a couple of years ago from Ornamental Specialties. It's an easy shrub that stays under 4 x 4 and is full of flowers now. I already had budgeted in a # 1 combo. bobby

Bookmark   June 24, 2011 at 3:44PM
rosiew(8 GA)

Maybe because of this discussion I'll finally get to meet you, Esh. Thanks for pruning advice. Will defer until Spring.

Don't settle for the #1. Try the spicy instead. Bobby is a Yankee sissy and can't take the spiciness.

Bookmark   June 25, 2011 at 9:47AM
More Discussions
have: have: composted horse manure
I have composted horse manure on my farm, looking to...
horsecompost
Georgia (Piedmont region) - new NABA chapter
To all butterfly enthusiasts in Georgia: The North...
memays
online peonies
Just ordered some peonies from a California nursery...
raptor1
Dracaena Massangeana - leaves are turning yellow and then brown!!
Hello, I bought a Dracaena Massangeana plant about...
daniel159
free partially bags of fertilizer, lime, etc.
Can't move these. I have partial bags of fertilizer,...
Tricia
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™