Helictotrichon sempervirens, blue oat grass: prune it in spring?

linaria_gwFebruary 24, 2011

Hello there,

I am pondering to use this grass on a green roof in small groups. I havent dealt with it before. I know that it loves poor soil and full sun and can be (semi)-evergreen.

So, do you cut back those tussocks in spring or rather let it grow? Does it get bald patches after a while and needs dividing?

Does it self seed much?

Thanks for your hints or comments, bye, Lin

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donn_(7b-8a)

It's a cool season grass, and will be very early to start its new growth, so you want to prune it back anytime now. In my zone it gets pretty ratty over the winter, so I cut it down every year.

If it's comfortable in its location, you wouldn't need to divide it for several years, unless it outgrows its space.

In your zone, it will self seed, but not intrusively, and it's a good way to get new plants. It tends to start volunteers near itself, rather than long distances away. You can prevent the self seeding by deadheading it before the seeds ripen, but, in my opinion, this is the time it looks the best. The volunteers are easy to deal with. I just let them grow, and then move them or pot them up and give them away.

It's a great grass...one of my favorites. It can take light shade nicely, and actually does better in fertile moist soil than poor soil, as long as the soil drains well. It doesn't like to sit in water. It's also a very nice container grass. The blue foliage looks great in a terra cotta pot.

Bookmark   February 24, 2011 at 12:37PM
More Discussions
established Pampus grass dead
hi, about 7 years ago i planted Pampas grass, and it...
bella81762
Maiden grass
Is maiden grass too invasive to be nearby a septic...
nancy0852
Northwinds planting in Central TX
I am considering planting a dozen or so Northwinds...
jscaldwell
Splitting my Maiden Grass
I plan on splitting my grass in the spring. When is...
purpleshovel
What grass is this??
Hi all, does anybody recognize this grass (the big...
linda21h
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™