New Windows

sjerinOctober 11, 2010

I need some thoughts on the subject, please. We had several aluminum double-paned windows installed about 15 years ago, but decided to wait on the others since we had planned to remodel. Remodeling didn't happen, but the heat loss is just too much through the single panes, and they are big. I am not a fan of the vinyl windows due to off-gassing, but now am in a quandary about my two remaining options. (Wood is too expensive and would not "match" our 15-year-old windows, which we won't replace.)

Aluminum: does not qualify for tax credit but is recyclable down the road, which is important to me.

Fiberglass: strong, insulates enough for tax credit, but are they recyclable later? I know glass or silica is used in production, but so are resins. Any off-gassing?

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
boulderbelt(5/6)

I put Pella windows in my old farm house 2 years ago and it has made a HUGE difference in warmth and comfort (no breezes) not to mention the heat bill is down around 30%. I believe new well insulated windows are worth every penny you spend

Bookmark   May 7, 2011 at 5:23AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sjerin

I went with fiberglass. New windows sure do make a big difference.

Bookmark   October 24, 2011 at 6:11PM
More Discussions
Best clothesline or outside dryers?
Hi- I'm looking into buying an outside dryer or clothesline...
papercamera
Energy Reduction Suggestions
Hi! New to the forums but a long time lurker, what...
middlemike
We Need Ideas!!!!
Hello , everyone we need people to submit ideas for...
greenguy1956
Repurposing copper roof
As part of a remodel we will be removing an exterior...
foleyfols
plastic ) paper
going green but I wonder which is worse the trees which...
finchelover
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™