1 more question - other OGs

roseyp8255(z8 - SC AL)February 26, 2005

Do I NEED to cut back the OGs I have? Is now the right time, etc.? One of them is Zebra grass, I think - and another is a form of "maidenhair" (??) - These are pass alongs from friends who were dividing....

THANKS!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
BruMeta(z5aNY)

Sure, any time before new growth reaches 6 inches. I usually wait until growth appears (about 1-2 inches), but not always. Cut when old foliage is dry (not wet with rainÂitÂs easier) and shred with shredder or mower to make great (and quick) compost.

Bookmark   February 26, 2005 at 3:07PM
roseyp8255(z8 - SC AL)

Thanks BruMeta - I will keep an eye on them and cut them back later this spring - I personally LOVE the plumes waving in the wind now, and hate to cut them back at all!

Bookmark   February 26, 2005 at 8:18PM
jake(z4b-5 NE)

BruMeta -

What do you do to get the dried fronds to decompose? After several years of trying I've yet been able to get the shredded left overs to break down.

We tie the clump of grass stands (fronds) together and cut them off using hedge shears, weed eater, a Rambo knife or any other sharp instrument.

When we are done cutting back our grasses we usually end up with almost two full pick up loads of bundled fronds.

A lot of work but well worth the efforts when the grasses start growing and then finish the growing season with their inflorescences in full regalia.

Jake

Bookmark   March 1, 2005 at 12:06PM
More Discussions
Pennisetum Advena/Setaceum Rubrum
Hi. I recently fell in love with the above grasses...
kaydarling
Looking for Pink Muhly grass
Hi Guys, Popped in to see if anyone had pink muhly...
bri_fl
What type of ornnamental grass is this? Pruning Needed?
1. Curious as to what exact type of Fountain Grass...
bretthickman
established Pampus grass dead
hi, about 7 years ago i planted Pampas grass, and it...
bella81762
Plant identification
Could anyone identify what this grass name is
nancy0852
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™