purple/red fountain grass

versatilegardener(8)February 27, 2009

I have 4 containers of Rubrum on my deck which were gorgeous last year. I cut them back - maybe too early. They are still brown altho it is almost March. How long should I wait to see if they will come back before buying new ones?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
versatilegardener(8)

I forgot to mention that we had an unusually cold wither this year - sometimes in the low to mid twenties at night. From what I'm reading her, maybe the cold killed it. But if I want to wait and see, when would new shoots normally begin to appear?

Bookmark   February 27, 2009 at 12:25PM
gardengal48

Pennisteum setaceum 'Rubrum' - purple fountain grass - is not hardy in zones below 9 or 10. It will experience dieback in temperatures much below 40F. It is considered an annual in all but the warmest areas of the country. You will need to replace them.

Bookmark   February 27, 2009 at 3:36PM
grass_guy

Hi versatilegardener,

I'm in zone 8b and have not cut my Pennisetum Rubrum back yet. I'm close to the coast, so temps are a bit better for me than even 20 minutes inland. I find that their survival is hit and miss here, but if I cut back early I almost guarantee them not surviving. If I leave purple fountain grasses up until new growth is flushing out at the base and then cut back, they often survive. Looks like they may be ok this year. Larger clumps down the street at our nearby Starbucks already have new growth coming up. They planted theirs 3 years ago and have not replaced them yet. We had temps here dipping down to 30 (even slightly below) this winter. Low 20's likely did the grasses in where you are. I've seen some neighbors bag theirs for protection, like they do with some of the lesser hardy palms in our area. That may help as well in future winters, but for now I bet you need to replant.

I also find that Pennisetum Rubrum that has survived a cold winter with borderline freezes will have a hardened off base and not as much nice fleshy growth that year. They'll push more aerials, get floppier, and just not look quite as nice. I guess it comes down to $ when deciding to replace them or not at that point.

Here is a link that might be useful: Purple Fountain Grass

Bookmark   February 27, 2009 at 6:00PM
More Discussions
What grass is this??
Hi all, does anybody recognize this grass (the big...
linda21h
Miscanthus sinensis Advice
Hello, I want to plant some Miscanthus grass on the...
nick0001
Best time to cut grasses back in my zone 9
I recently moved to the San Francisco Peninsula Zone...
kmoodymz3
Looking for ornamental grass
Would like to start some ornamental grass plugs or...
mkkram
Panicum 'Hot Rod'
Does anyone know where this is available online for...
jscaldwell
Sponsored Products
Baby Gilda Floor Lamp
Lightology
Shower Curtain Artistic - Purple Blossoms
$89.00 | DiaNoche
Empire Red Giclee Apothecary Clear Glass Table Lamp
$99.99 | Lamps Plus
Toobe Floor Lamp by Kartell
$790.00 | Lumens
Foscarini | See You Wall / Ceiling Light
YLiving.com
Woven Red Wallpaper R1110, sample
Walls Republic
VIG Furniture - Holiday Red-Made In Italy Sectional Sofa set -...
Great Furniture Deal
Fresh Air Bench 44 - Loll Designs
$399.00 | HORNE
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™