Mystery squash: any ideas?

Coconuts337March 21, 2013

Hi folks,

I had these squash/pumpkin plants sprout in my yard about 6 weeks ago and I decided to let them grow thinking that they would be pumpkins. The seeds are "pumpkin seeds" from my parrot's food that were washed out of the pan when cleaning.

Anyhow, the fruit are very yellow to begin with, so I'm inclined to think it's not a pumpkin. The yellow made me think of spaghetti squash, but are the immature fruits bright yellow?

Anyone have any ideas about what this is?

Here are links to more photos if that helps. The largest fruit so far is about 6 inches long.

http://i1304.photobucket.com/albums/s525/Coconuts337/IMG1_zpsd17e9828.jpg

http://i1304.photobucket.com/albums/s525/Coconuts337/IMG3_zps3c48d3fc.jpg

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ccabal(7)

Looks like a C. Maxima variety, especially from the photo of the plant I saw in the website.

Bookmark   March 21, 2013 at 11:06PM
Coconuts337

Hi ccabal,

Thank you for answering my question. I scoured the web for young C. maxima pictures to figure out the variety. The closest one is a giant pumpkin.

I'm not used to seeing those here in Hawaii. Most folks usually grow Kabochas, so the pumpkins I'm used to seeing have all been green when young. The bright yellow fruit on my plant seemed really bizarre.

Reminds me of when my aunt first encountered a purple okinawan sweet potato. She started to peel it, saw the purple flesh, thought it was rotten, and chucked it into the garbage can. She grabbed a second one, saw the purple again, and chucked it too, into the garbage can. After the third one, she came out of the kitchen complaining that I bought a bad batch of potatoes, and proceeded to tell me how she'd never seen sweet potatoes rot and turn purple. I about fell over laughing so hard. I still start giggling when I think about that. It never occurred to me that she might not have seen a purple sweet potato.

Now the jokes on me, pumpkins are yellow from the start.

I guess I'll have to wait and see how these pumpkins turn out.

If it's not something I want to eat, I'm sure my birds and chickens will enjoy it. :-)

Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 4:13PM
Pun.King

so how'd it turn out?

Bookmark   August 13, 2013 at 1:14PM
More Discussions
Palav Kadoo
Cucurbita moschata 'Palav Kadoo' was developed in central...
acorneti
Will this ever result in an actual pumpkin?
Hi everyone, I'm a newbie. I experimented with planting...
stephiepoopy
Best way to weatherproof birdhouse gourd?
I made some birdhouses from gourds 2 years ago. Made...
sandlady
? for birdhouse gourd expert growers
Just for giggles I bought a $2 pack of birdhouse gourd...
donnywayne1
Pie off between Baby Blue Hubbard and Winter Luxury Pie Pumpkin
We made pies from both squashes and the family decided...
springtogarden
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™