Eliminating a ornamental grass

joesonFebruary 9, 2010

We have an green ornamnetal grass that has overgrown to the point it is starting to surround a Mimosa tree root ball. We dont want to harm the tree by attemting to dig it up and are worried that Round-up may harm it. We just trimmed it down to about 6 inches and have seen posts suggesting suffocating as an option. Has this worked for anyone or are there other ideas. Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donn_(7b-8a)

If you carefully brush high-strength Roundup onto the grass, it will kill the grass without harming the tree. Use a sponge paint brush and be careful not to let the Roundup drip onto the ground.

I wouldn't try to suffocate the grass, because in order to do it effectively, you'd possibly suffocate the tree as well.

Bookmark   February 9, 2010 at 2:18PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rosessecretgarden

donn is right, suffocating method can be harmful to the tree's health.

Use "Roundup" but you'll have to wait for about a week or so to till it in. The herbicide needs time to go through the system and to the roots to completely kill it. After you see some yellowing of the blades you can till it in. Mix at 2 oz. of roundup per gallon of water. This will do the job. Hope this answers your question.

Bookmark   February 10, 2010 at 9:51AM
More Discussions
Blue Dune Lyme Grass Seeds
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew a supplier for Blue...
ehunt123
Splitting my Maiden Grass
I plan on splitting my grass in the spring. When is...
purpleshovel
Beach grasses great online/cataloge companies
We need to landscape our home in a beach community...
dis2cruise
Best time to cut grasses back in my zone 9
I recently moved to the San Francisco Peninsula Zone...
kmoodymz3
established Pampus grass dead
hi, about 7 years ago i planted Pampas grass, and it...
bella81762
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™