where to buy in smaller pot sizes

profe(warm 4)February 28, 2006

I am anxious to get rolling with the memorial garden for my deceased wife. I believe I know which varieties I like, and the layout, but I will need to plant smaller specimens in order to get the quantity to match my financial capabilities. Can anyone suggest a nursery (nurseries) that can accomodate the guy who wishes to plant smaller grasses?

Thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donn_(7b-8a)

Bluestem sells Miscanthus clumps in 4" pots, and smaller plugs on many other grasses.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bluestem

Bookmark   February 28, 2006 at 2:24PM
donn_(7b-8a)

Earthly Pursuits sells many varieties of grass in 4" and quart sizes. They're affiliated with Kurt Bluemel, a noted developer of grasses.

Here is a link that might be useful: Earthly Pursuits

Bookmark   February 28, 2006 at 2:27PM
BruMeta(z5aNY)

I am glad to hear that you are proceeding with the memorial garden.

DonnÂs referals are first-choice. Here are three more that might (partially, at least) meet your requirements.

1. Bluestone Perennials in Ohio (bluestoneperennials.com) sells a small collection of grasses in packs of three or in small pots. The packs measure 2 1â4" sq. x 3" deep and take about a year longer to reach mature sizes; the pots are 3 1â4" sq. x 5" deep (larger root ball).

2. The Prairie Nursery (prairienursery.com) also has limited collection that they sell in 3" pots that become cheaper in greater quantities. Wisconsin.

3. The Magic Garden (magicgardenplants.com) in upstate NY also carries a small collection, sold in 4" pots that perform very well in the garden. (They carry hard-to-find Achnatherum calamagrostis, plus more common grasses.)

Bookmark   March 2, 2006 at 8:08AM
PollyNY(z5NY)

Which grasses are you looking for, and how many of each? This sounds like a wonderful project. Was your wife a gardener? Polly

Bookmark   March 4, 2006 at 11:54AM
profe(warm 4)

Great suggestions, one and all, and I am finding a few that I need. Polly, in particular I would like to find Miscanthus Morning Light in smaller pot sizes or plugs, Miscanthus Silberfeder, Little Blue Stem "The Blues", Mexican Feather Grass, various panicums, including "Dallas Blues," "Shenandoah," or "Squaw." That's a start! Substitutions could work.

Bookmark   March 5, 2006 at 12:04AM
grass_guy

Good suggestions on sources.

Bluestem, High Country Gardens, Eartly Pursuits are all retailers of ornamental grasses. Another to try would be Santa Rosa Gardens, they seem to have a very wide ornamental grass selection and a good reputation.

If you're getting into Panicums, I would highly recommend Panicum Dallas Blues, which you can find at Plant Delights or Santa Rosa Gardens.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dallas Blues

Bookmark   September 28, 2006 at 6:20PM
grass_guy

I do think that both High Country Gardens and Santa Rosa Gardens offer volume discounts.

profe, I hope you found the grass source that suited your needs.

Bookmark   September 28, 2006 at 8:13PM
More Discussions
Blue Dune Lyme Grass Seeds
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew a supplier for Blue...
ehunt123
Propagation of Nassella laevissima "Golden Hair Grass" from seed?
I posted on this plant back on July 8 in the "Growing...
mark4321_gw
Link to picture of grasses?
Does anyone know a link where I can see what kind of...
tiver43809
Beach grasses great online/cataloge companies
We need to landscape our home in a beach community...
dis2cruise
Can anyone ID the plant
I saw a beautiful grass outside a mall. Does anyone...
Chipeony
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™