compostable, also suitable for rain barrel?

gergevNovember 8, 2010

These may have been discussed here, but I have a couple of rather personal questions:

1. Can plain white unscented toilet paper, used as tissue, be put in compost?

I got the flu shot last week and now have developed my first cold in more than a year (maybe just a coincidence?). In the last three days I have gone thru about 3 rolls of toilet paper which I have been substituting for the more expensive kleenex. I buy the cheapest generic I can find, so it isn't scented or over-softened. I would buy all-recycled toilet paper, but it is more expensive (now THERE is a good use for a g'vt subsidy - promote using recycled wood products for TP).

I've got a wastebasket full of tissues and I would like to just add them to my compost. Is OK?

2. On average, I bathe, instead of shower at least once a week. It feels great to just lie in warm/hot water reading the paper. As I empty the bathtub, I think to myself, what a waste of water. I use soap and shampoo sparingly, so the bath water is cloudy, but not super cloudy. I know it is not code, but what if this water were diverted to rain barrels. Would a bathtub full of water, polluted by a small dollop of shampoo and a some hand soap be harmful to the lawn, or even to a vegetable garden? I envision an illegal diverter switch, rigged next to the bathtub which I could turn at my discretion to send the water via a separate pvc pipe to a rain barrel system, mixed with the roof runoff.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sylviatexas1

Composting your own used tissues is the best thing to do with them-

Just don't use tissues or other compostables (food, etc) from a hospital or medical clinic.

Bath water is perfectly good for compost piles or even for watering the ornamentals, but I don't know that I'd put it in the rain barrel.

maybe in its own separate "rain barrel"?

You might post on gardenweb's Soil & Compost Forum for more thoughts.

Bookmark   November 14, 2010 at 3:19PM
More Discussions
Natural Cleaning
Let's share our tried and true ideas / mixtures / techniques...
kittysmith
Getting rid of old mattress
We need a new mattress but my husband won't buy one...
plantladyco
plastic ) paper
going green but I wonder which is worse the trees which...
finchelover
Eco friendly way to disinfect a bathroom
Hi everyone, I initially posted this over on the cleaning...
kristimama
Ever thought of adding chickens to your garden?
Eggstra Eggstra! Read all about it! Brace yourself...
WyldeCenter
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™