Cutting back Blue Fescue

wyosue(z4 WY)February 16, 2007

For Wyoming (zone 4) when is the best time to cut back Blue Fescue grass? Does it have to be done every year?

Thanks,

Sue in Wyoming

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donn_(7b-8a)

The more you cut it back, the faster it grows.

You can cut it back in late winter, before it's early spring growing season. You can then cut it back when it starts to look sloppy in the dead of summer, before it's fall growing season. If it doesn't look too bad, and you don't want to trim it, you can just tease out the dead foliage and bloom stems, using latex dipped gloves.

Bookmark   February 17, 2007 at 9:24AM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

I never cut mine back, I just tease the dead foliage and dead bloom stems out wearing gloves.

Bookmark   February 20, 2007 at 3:13PM
busylizzy(z5 PA)

Early Spring, I pull the blue fescue up in a pony tail and scissor trim. Then, when the seed heads are ready to be harvested I gather them again like a pony tail and cut for starting new plants. If the plant is look shaggy I'll just touch up trim.
Gave them urea last year, and had some osmocote around for the other perennials, Whoa did they like that! Blue, Blue Blue they were.

Bookmark   February 27, 2007 at 9:38AM
Pudge 2b

There were some years that the mice got to my Blue Fescue. When the snow melted I saw the mice had mowed the grasses right to the ground. They grew back with a vengeance and looked wonderful. Otherwise I've also cut them in early spring before growth starts.

Bookmark   February 28, 2007 at 5:28PM
rivers1202(Z8a South Carolina)

Depends on what it looks like - I'll trim off long growth around the bottom that has turned brown and is dragging on the ground throughout the year. I always give it a close cropping in late winter - just did it, in fact, about 2 weeks ago. And by "close cropping", I mean I use a pair of very sharp garden scissors to shear it down to a nubbin...plant version of a military buzz cut. LOL. It looks a bit freakish for a short time -kinda like a hedgehog- but always grows back really fast and in a beautiful icy shade of blue. I have a grouping of 5 growing along with some 'blue spruce' sedum, and the combination produces a striking patch of blue in my garden.

Renee

Bookmark   March 1, 2007 at 3:18AM
wildflowersinsd(4)

Hi, new at this web, but would like some info on sowing blue fescue seed....Can a fall sowing be done in zone 4? or do I need to wait until next summer?

Bookmark   August 2, 2009 at 11:23AM
donn_(7b-8a)

You can't lose much by trying it now. If you can get quick germination, and can tend to the seedlings to get them large enough to plant out so they have 4-6 weeks to get established root systems, they'll probably survive the winter. Try to plant them out in the warmest and most protected part of your garden, and if you don't have reliable snow cover in winter, mulch them heavily for the coldest season.

If they don't survive, start more next spring.

Bookmark   August 2, 2009 at 1:39PM
More Discussions
Feather Reed Grass for East facing wall
I've been pulling what's left of my hair out over this...
srmacy
The reddest Panicum virgatum
I would like to add one of those Panicum virgatums...
wannabegardnr
Pink Muhly Grass Doesn't Bloom
I have 2 pink muhly grass plants. They are about 3...
AnnP603
Maiden grass
Is maiden grass too invasive to be nearby a septic...
nancy0852
Beach grasses great online/cataloge companies
We need to landscape our home in a beach community...
dis2cruise
Sponsored Products
Sky Blue Hand Knotted Peshawar Rug 3'x12' Runner 100% Wool Silver Wash Sh17848
1800 Get A Rug
Home Decorators Runner Rug: Grimsby Sky Blue 2' 9" x 14'
Home Depot
Pistachio Honeycomb Throw Pillow Cover
$29.99 | Dot & Bo
Pure Rugs | Yves Premium Cowhide Rug
YLiving.com
Furniture of America Ruperte Swivel Bar Stool - IDF-BR6882BK
$236.88 | Hayneedle
Libbey Montibello Misty Blue 16-oz Iced Tea Glasses (Pack of 12)
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™