evergreen ornamental grass to replace lawn in shaded area

carolineridgeFebruary 7, 2010

I currently have a lawn with a lot of moss growing through it. I would like to replace it this year with an EVERGREEN ornamental grass that doesn't require mowing and has a very natural mounding look. The yard (high bank waterfront)is a natural garden in the Piet Oudolf style. The borders are eupatorium purpureum 'atropurpureum', filipendula, persicaria and deschampsia. Karl Forester anchors certain areas. There are very large grand fir trees around the perimeter that give the yard dappled shade in the summer. I am looking for a grass that will stay green throughout the year.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donn_(7b-8a)

Look at the various Carex varieties. The come in many sizes and colors, and do well in shade. Many are evergreen or semi-evergreen, depending upon your hardiness zone.

Bookmark   February 8, 2010 at 5:50AM
gardengal48

Yes, Carex would be a good choice. Not all will be happy in much shade so select from the Asian species rather than the NZ or native species. Carex morrowii 'Ice Dance' is a slow spreader, forming clumps about 12-14" tall. It has a clean white stripe along the sides, otherwise a clear, true green. 'Variegata' has more of an overall creamy appearance (heavier variegation and with a golden yellow color). Both need some moisture (don't like excessively dry locations) and will sometimes need grooming after winter to remove dead foliage - even evergreen grasses will need periodic attention.

Although not very mounding in habit and not true grasses, Liriope and Ophiopogon are also evergreen and very shade tolerant and tend to be nice but slow spreaders.

Bookmark   February 8, 2010 at 12:50PM
linaria_gw

Hi there,
in areas with mild winters Haconechloa macra could work. It looks like a tiny bamboo, is sometimes difficult to start. But once established it forms carpets of longish blades bending over in the wind (ca. 8-16 inches, 20-40cm) and sometimes looks like a fur of some ancient beast.
Well, have a good spring,
cheers, Lin

Bookmark   February 10, 2010 at 4:38PM
gardengal48

Although quite hardy (zone 5), Hakonechloa is not the slightest bit evergreen, even in mild climates.

Bookmark   February 10, 2010 at 6:52PM
More Discussions
Blue Dune Lyme Grass Seeds
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew a supplier for Blue...
ehunt123
Feather Reed Grass for East facing wall
I've been pulling what's left of my hair out over this...
srmacy
Miscanthus blight?
A few months ago I got some Miscanthis Hinjo at Lowes...
summer99
Link to picture of grasses?
Does anyone know a link where I can see what kind of...
tiver43809
type of grass?
This is such a pretty grass. Everyone asks what it...
bunky
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™