Growing on a slope in North Georgia

Natdiamond(SE)June 28, 2010

I live in very N. Georgia. Basically Chattanooga, Tn. I have a steep slope in my backyard. I cant afford to build a raised garden because it would just cost too much to fill and build a retaining wall to make it flat.

I would like to grow things I can eat. What stuff can I grow? I have tall trees around the perimeter of my yard, so I don't get FULL sun, but almost. I heard watermelons grow on slopes? Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bagsmom(7)

Don't many herbs like a rocky hillside sort of situation? It seems that I have seen this in magazines -- not REALLY rocky, but planted on the hillside with rocks around -- like a mini terrace.

1 Like    Bookmark   June 28, 2010 at 12:25PM
Natdiamond(SE)

Thank you for your quick reply! However, I got the herb thing covered in my potted garden. I'm looking for vegetables and fruits to go in ground. And YES, rocky soil is exactly what I have. I need a pick just to plant a small plant!

Bookmark   June 28, 2010 at 1:35PM
girlgroupgirl(8 ATL)

Fruit! I recently read that a few folks who grow fruits like apples and pears choose blight resistant varieties and grow them best on slopes. I have some slope areas in my yard, and fruit trees are slated for the planting!

1 Like    Bookmark   June 28, 2010 at 11:07PM
tifbee(7)

Strawberries love a good slope, and if the plant sends out runners you can get at least an additional 2 or 3 plants. I planted 3 strawberry plants this year; 2 are fruiting, and 1 has sent out 3 runners with at least 2 plant growing from each runner.
I would think that watermelon, cucumbers, squash, and pumpkin would do well on a mild slope. As long as the slope isn't too steep and the weight of the fruit don't pull the plant out of the soil.

Bookmark   July 1, 2010 at 2:44PM
wynnho

Avoid annuals, because that means bare soil that is gonna be washed away on a slope. Fruit trees and bushes with herbs and maybe short nitrogen fixers that have pretty flowers may be best.

Bookmark   February 15, 2015 at 3:59PM
Chris_in_GA

blueberries and thornless blackberries like triple crown do fine in part shade, basically require no maintenance and grow well in north GA. You will need to build wire trellis for blackberries but its not hard and worth the effort. As far a low, maintenance, no spray fruit trees, your choices include persimmons and paw paws.

Bookmark   February 16, 2015 at 12:28PM
motherofdog

My creeping raspberry grows like crazy on a steep hill in Ellijay

Bookmark   February 27, 2015 at 4:11PM
More Discussions
Shade Garden Ideas Help
I am renting a townhouse that has a 4X4 foot square...
jerseygarden123
Baptisia arachnifera (wild indigo, hairy false indigo)
I understand this is a native Georgia plant. I have...
Evenshade 8a
Atlanta Seed swap
Would anyone be interested in doing an Atlanta seed...
planterjeff
Landscape plant suggestions please Eatonton/Milledgeville, GA
Greetings All, My husband and I have purchased a property...
motherofdog
how to kill wisteria
anybody have a cheap way to get rid of wisteria or...
Shane86
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™