any opinions on combinations?

mylubbock(Austin, TX 8)February 20, 2005

I was looking at the High Country Gardens catalog and saw a combination of grasses that look lovely in a drawing. Has anyone got an opinion if they would look this nice in reality?

http://www.highcountrygardens.com/shop/prod.html?class=preplanned&page=3

It is the "color and textures" garden. I am considering something like that for the front of our house.

Any thoughts and suggestions are welcome.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
youreit

I definitely think they would look GREAT in your yard, mylubbock! I love High Country's catalog. If you do decide to order that collection, you have to let us know how it goes! I'm excited for you. :)

Brenda

Bookmark   February 23, 2005 at 2:01PM
jake(z4b-5 NE)

If there is one thing about ornamental grasses that I have learned the hard way is that any enriched soil may be a detriment to the quality of the grasses.

Enriched garden loam soil may not be the best for the grasses. Enriched or amended soils that produced vibrant perennials has caused our grasses to flop and become leggy in appearance.

I know others have said the same thing. Watering too much or too often can be as bad as the enriched garden soil. Be cautious when prepping your garden bed.

I do agree that the plant selections as chosen by Ms. Springer are a great combination of plant choices and placed properly the garden will be one show piece to admire through out the growing season and even during the winter months.

Me. Springer publishes a yearly calendar featuring photographs of MonetÂs garden which located in Giverny France.

We have 5 or 6 years of these calendars and looking through them during the winter moths really takes the cold out of the snow lying on the ground outside.

Jake

Bookmark   February 23, 2005 at 5:00PM
youreit

Ditto Jake's remark about any prior soil "enrichment" or future fertilizing! If grown in the right zone, grasses are an easy asset to any garden. :)

Brenda

Bookmark   February 24, 2005 at 12:39PM
PPennypacker(z6b)

Hello mylubbock,
I can't say enough about the combo in September of Japanese Blood Grass (Imperata cylindrica var. koenigii 'Red Baron') and the bronzy, dark ruby, evergreen leaves of Evening Primrose (Oenothera). Just lovely!!!
Here's a photo to whet your appetite:

Best,
PP

Bookmark   February 25, 2005 at 8:21PM
mylubbock(Austin, TX 8)

Thanks everyone for your encouragement. I do appreciate the feedback. I am very exicited, as I have a good sized area to work with. I feel a little uncreative buying them as a package - but I might mix up the perennials a little.

If I get it going, I will send some pictures.

Bookmark   February 25, 2005 at 9:22PM
More Discussions
Purple Majesty Millet from seed?
I grew Purple Magesty Millet for the first time this...
treemedic
established Pampus grass dead
hi, about 7 years ago i planted Pampas grass, and it...
bella81762
Best time to cut grasses back in my zone 9
I recently moved to the San Francisco Peninsula Zone...
kmoodymz3
have: variegated "peppermint stick" giant reed grass / arundo do
I have many rhizomes I can trade. This one seems to...
risinsun
Blue Dune Lyme Grass Seeds
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew a supplier for Blue...
ehunt123
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™