Moving Crinums

inuloverMay 7, 2013

I have seral crinums scattered around. They may have made sense to the PO, but I want to move some. Will I destroy them if I do it now? Should I split up the clumps, or just dig it up and move it?

Larry

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
KaraLynn(z9 FL, Inverness, Citrus)

You can move a crinum any time of the year except when expecting a freeze. The plants may be difficult to dig up though as some mature crinums have very large bulbs with extensive root systems. Don't worry about damaging the roots though as they will regrow just like any other type of bulb.

Bookmark   May 7, 2013 at 1:00PM
carolb_w_fl(zone 9/10)

Just make sure to dig deep enough to get the bottom 'plate' of the bulb(the part the roots come out of); they won't grow w/o it...

Bookmark   May 8, 2013 at 10:02AM
morningloree(9b)

Hi,
I just moved mine and they adjusted, no problem. I dug a deep enough hole to unearth them pretty intact. I took the opportunity to remove some babies, then put them in their new home. No wilting or signs of stress. I did water with Miracle Grow right after. I moved two medium sized Queen Emmas. I hear Ellen Bosenquat does not transplant easily, though.

Bookmark   May 8, 2013 at 11:05PM
KaraLynn(z9 FL, Inverness, Citrus)

Ellen B. transplant just fine. The problem is getting the mature plants out of the ground first! They can have soccer ball sized bulbs with the thickest root system I've ever seen. I've heard of people having to bring in backhoes in order to get mature clumps of Ellen Bosenquets out of the ground. I know that I can't budge mom's established patch of mature EBs!

Kara

Bookmark   May 9, 2013 at 8:49AM
More Discussions
looking for more info on this tree
I was given a pod off a "Giant Star Potato",...
master_gardner_nick
Tomato varieties good from now to early summer?
I am in zone 10A or B—can't quite make out where...
pattybee
bought a green shell ginger--will I be sorry?
I rescued a green Alpinia zerumbet (not the variegated...
marcia_m
What to see in North Central FL this weekend?
I will be just north of Orlando. Any special events...
irma_stpete_9b
African Irises just bloomed; they're pretty
The plants bloomed nine mos after being stuck in the...
stewbrew FL_10b
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™