Mowable Geraniums

vegangirl(z6 VA)January 15, 2008

I just read an article in Horticulture May, 1999 by Brian Bixley. He says he discovered the he could plant G. himalayense and G. endressii and their cultivars under crabapple trees along with spring bulbs and colchicums. He mows the geraniums twice a year (mid-August and November). He is in southern Ontario. It all works perfectly together.

Now, can anyone tell me some cultivars of the above species? A Google search turned up several but only one of each that I can find sources for. G. h. Birch's Double and G. e. Claridge Druce.

Has anyone had any experience mowing any other species? I'm hoping to find out that the varieties available from Blustone and Green Mt Transplants are mowable:)

Thanks!

VG

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

Nearly all hardy geraniums (can't think of any right off that can't) can be cut back hard after the initial bloom sequence. In fact, most appreciate it by responding rapidly with a new flush of tidy foliage and often, additional flowering. Mowing is a less refined method of approaching this same process, but there's no reason why it shouldn't work, if you don't mind a somewhat chewed up appearance initially. The ones that would be less inclined to appreciate this treatment are the sprawling, rambling selections like 'Ann Folkard' or 'Rozanne'. So you are really not too limited by species or hybrid if you attempt this.

Bookmark   January 16, 2008 at 10:50AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vegangirl(z6 VA)

Gardengal, thanks so much! I have been trying for weeks to get back to this forum and I guess the link was broken. I just tried this morning and it didn't work but I was able to get to it by searching. Frustrating!!!

Bookmark   February 7, 2008 at 7:22AM
More Discussions
Need Advice. Flowering Groundcovers and Moisture
Friend is redoing an entrance way to an apartment...
alexis717_df
Spreading succulent groundcover advice?
We recently bought a house and are finally tackling...
sweetverve
replacing sod with Dwarf Jasmine
My septic mound is currently covered with Dwarf Jasmine...
dseeds
Advice on transplanting kinnickinick
Hello, I've decided to reduce my slope because it is...
YorkiePooMama
Groundcover planning for spring
I'm considering planting some groundcover in a bed...
ked1985
Sponsored Products
Junot Orange 18 x 18 Floral Throw Pillow
$57.95 | Bellacor
Martha Stewart Geranium Leaf Toffee Wool/ Viscose Rug (7' 9 x 9' 9)
Overstock.com
Silk Geranium Flower Plant
Overstock.com
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Safavieh Rugs Martha Stewart Geranium Leaf
Home Depot
Harmony Bath Towel - GERANIUM (RED)
$20.00 | Horchow
Magnolia Casual Geranium Hammock Chair & Pillow Set - SPRG-SP
$197.91 | Hayneedle
Rainwater Natural Soap Set - Set of 5
$27.99 | Dot & Bo
White Geranium Bush