How fast does sedum grow? Heucheras?

FloridaKimberly(9B)January 23, 2013

Hi!

I planted a row of sedum spaced 15 inches apart (Florida Friendly gold) with a row of heucheras 24 inches apart approximately 18 inches behind the sedum. How fast should I expect them to grow in toward each other and fill in the gaps? I plan to mulch soon but if I want them to fill in should I mulch at all in those areas? They are in an area of landscaping that is about 40 feet wide and previously had mulch and that is all. I ripped out the old mulch and put these in. I would like them to eventually be a true border.

Thoughts?

I am in zone 9B.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
FloridaKimberly(9B)

Oh and it gets lots of morning and early afternoon sun.

Bookmark   January 23, 2013 at 5:59PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tkhooper(7)

Well I don't have the type of sedum that you have mentioned. I have a scarlet and an improved golden. They didn't do much of anything for the first two years. The third year they have started to take off. The rows have increased to 4 inches in width from basically one frond wide. I hope this helps you somewhat. I would look up my sedum and see what it's mature size will be and work from that size. So, if it's going to make a mound 2 feet round I would give it the full 2 feet plus about 6 inches. This is just a suggestion. Right now I'm having to deal with not doing that and having to deal with overcrowding.

Bookmark   April 11, 2013 at 2:18PM
More Discussions
Mini Brass Buttons in Shade
I'm hoping to hear from anyone that has had experience...
bveronico
Need to remove creeping juniper
Dear friends, HELP! My house is surrounded by creeping...
murray_dog
Dichondra - next to lawn, grow from seed, watering needs
Hello, I want to change the subject of the posting...
kwoksmusic
Advice on transplanting kinnickinick
Hello, I've decided to reduce my slope because it is...
YorkiePooMama
Dymondia Dying
Hello, A little over a week ago I purchased a bunch...
naveenreddy_la
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™