How fast does sedum grow? Heucheras?

FloridaKimberly(9B)January 23, 2013

Hi!

I planted a row of sedum spaced 15 inches apart (Florida Friendly gold) with a row of heucheras 24 inches apart approximately 18 inches behind the sedum. How fast should I expect them to grow in toward each other and fill in the gaps? I plan to mulch soon but if I want them to fill in should I mulch at all in those areas? They are in an area of landscaping that is about 40 feet wide and previously had mulch and that is all. I ripped out the old mulch and put these in. I would like them to eventually be a true border.

Thoughts?

I am in zone 9B.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
FloridaKimberly(9B)

Oh and it gets lots of morning and early afternoon sun.

Bookmark   January 23, 2013 at 5:59PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tkhooper(7)

Well I don't have the type of sedum that you have mentioned. I have a scarlet and an improved golden. They didn't do much of anything for the first two years. The third year they have started to take off. The rows have increased to 4 inches in width from basically one frond wide. I hope this helps you somewhat. I would look up my sedum and see what it's mature size will be and work from that size. So, if it's going to make a mound 2 feet round I would give it the full 2 feet plus about 6 inches. This is just a suggestion. Right now I'm having to deal with not doing that and having to deal with overcrowding.

Bookmark   April 11, 2013 at 2:18PM
More Discussions
plant id
Can anyone Id this plant? Referring to the green groundcover,...
Sarah Venn
veronica repens 'sunshine'
I am confused on this one. Hopefully someone that is...
kennym_2010
Groundcover planning for spring
I'm considering planting some groundcover in a bed...
ked1985
Zone 10b: Dog Friendly Ground Cover
I am considering replacing our front lawn (in a gated,...
fraustachowski
Is my dymondia dying?
I have dymondia in a roughly 12' x 12' area with a...
sheckylovejoy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™