I've got these seeds I can plant this year:

Jarradale

Cinderella

Connecticut Field

Dill's Atlantic Giant

Ghost Rider

Lumina

One Too Many

I have no previous pumpkin growing experience though. I know all pumpkins are heavy feeders and the vines can get really big, but for my garden area I'm not sure which of the above would work. I just really want enough of them to carve for Halloween (around 7-8) and maybe a few to give to friends. Dill's is too big for me to grow- I know that for a fact. I'd really like to grow the One Too Many and Cinderella if nothing else... I was going to plant them amongst my field corns to help with water retention. I have a 20x20 area they can grow in so I can 't have too many plants in there. I thought maybe 2 hills might fit. If anyone has experience with the above varieties and could give me info on which ones would best suit me, I'd appreciate it.

Abby

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
farmerdill

Depends on what you like. Connecticut field is the only one with the traditional Halloween look. Ghost Rider looks the part but is a small pumpkin ( 4-10 lbs) Jarrahdale is a blocky blue grey squash usually grown for eating. Lumina has the pumpkin shape and size but is white. 'Rouge Vif d'Etampes' (Cinderella) 10-15 lbs is a flat pumpkin and more reddish than the normal Halloween pumpkin. One Too Many is a hybrid that reminds folks of a blood shot eyeball. 20lbs, very decorative, not too good for eating. White with multiple red veining.

Bookmark   April 2, 2011 at 5:12PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
phantom_white(6)

I'm not much for eating them, then again I've never tried eating pumpkin. I like the OTM because of the look (didn't know it was a hybrid...), same for Cinderella. I like the Field pumpkin too because that's what I'm used to carving. I might give Ghost Rider away since it's smaller than a normal carving pumpkin... I would like to grow the Lumina for something different. Would 20x20 be enough space for 2 hills or could I plant more than 2? I've heard that putting 3 seeds per hill is standard practice- do I thin to one plant per hill after they start growing? Or could I leave 2 plants- one of each kind I'd like to plant, then hand pollinate so the seed would be true? I just want to forgo paying $6+ per pumpkin this year, especially since I like to carve up quite a few. Last year I had some real trouble with the pumpkin going soft and falling apart while I tried to carve it. Is that something I'll have to worry about with the seeds I have?

Abby

Bookmark   April 2, 2011 at 7:35PM
More Discussions
HAVE: Round Robin SquashSwap
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/roundrobin/msg011538403422.html?6...
fresc1000
Best way to weatherproof birdhouse gourd?
I made some birdhouses from gourds 2 years ago. Made...
sandlady
? for birdhouse gourd expert growers
Just for giggles I bought a $2 pack of birdhouse gourd...
donnywayne1
New England Orange Hubbard Pumpkin
When a New England Blue Hubbard Squash is pollinated...
acorneti
This year's winter squash winners and losers
This year I tried the following C Maxima squashes....
tcstoehr
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™