Brizia media (rattlesnake grass)

LauraOP(8b)March 20, 2005

I would like to know what is the difference between the looks of Brizia media & maxima. I know Maxima is the annual and brizia media is the perenial type.

The reason I ask is last year I got the maxima seed, planted them and up came the grass. We had a unusually cold & dry winter here and I think the plant is dead. I was going to purchase more seeds, but then found out there was a perenial version.

My thinking is if the perenial version is just as appealing as the annual, I will just get perrenial seeds so I don't have to replant every year.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
BruMeta(z5aNY)

Oh, definitely try the B. media. Good for cutting. Attractive. Good groundcover for a variety of soils and conditions. Great in groups, sweeps or masses.

Bookmark   March 20, 2005 at 10:48AM
gillespiegardens(Z6 cinti ohio)

Your Briza maxima is dead now because it is an annual.
The maxima can grow 2-3 ft tall and has large fingernail sized flower heads that I personally think look like tan colored roaches or some kind of bug. This one is called rattlesnake grass.
The Briza media is a perennial growing to 18 to 24 inches tall and is called quaking grass. It has lots of little balls for flower heads that shake ( or quake) in the breeze. As Brumeta says I too prefer the media.
Briza minor is also an annual and grows to only 6-12 inches.
It has little balls for flowers like the media does and is called little quaking grass.

Bookmark   March 26, 2005 at 4:31PM
junco East Georgia zone 8a(zone 8a)

What kind of light and soil does the Brizia media grow best in? I just bought a 4 in pot at a wholesale nursery that was having an "open to the public" day. I've never seen it before and they couldn't tell me anything about it.
Thanks

Bookmark   April 2, 2005 at 5:31PM
More Discussions
Panicum 'Hot Rod'
Does anyone know where this is available online for...
jscaldwell
What type of ornnamental grass is this? Pruning Needed?
1. Curious as to what exact type of Fountain Grass...
bretthickman
Hakonechloa All Gold looking rough
I have an area of my yard that stays pretty well shaded...
mayflower537
Propagation of Nassella laevissima "Golden Hair Grass" from seed?
I posted on this plant back on July 8 in the "Growing...
mark4321_gw
Northwinds planting in Central TX
I am considering planting a dozen or so Northwinds...
jscaldwell
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™