Grassy Looking Groundcovers?

danell(7)February 8, 2012

I'm not sure if this post should go here or in ornamental grasses yet I'm looking for suggestions of what I can use along a dry stream bed that will look like a carpet or mat of flowing grass rather than individual tufts or clumps. The first thing that comes to mind (probably because it is the only thing I know) is Japanese blood grass but it is the wrong color. I want something softer, green or variegated. The soil is clay-loam (ammended) with good drainage and Ph of 7. This has to live happily with Echninacea, Nepeta Fasseni and Karl Foerster. Oh and it will be planted on the North side of house - if it helps I'm in Medford, Oregon. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
browneyedsusan_gw(8a)

Dianthus "Bath's Pink", D. carthusianorum and several others, Ophiopogon "Nana" (dwarf mondo grass), Ophiopogon nigrescens, Acorus (several ), Hakonechloa (many cultivars).

Bookmark   February 26, 2012 at 12:10AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
danell(7)

Thanks for the ideas browneyedsusan. I checked out 6 ornamental grass books from the Library and while very nice coffee table type books, they were not very explicit. I also chanced upon sesleria which may work as well. Again, I thank you.

Bookmark   February 27, 2012 at 4:12PM
More Discussions
Sedum taking over!!!
For some reason I couldn't upload a picture of the...
seattlegardener
Alternatives To Decorative Bark Or Rock Ground Cover
Hey Have a small area I need to fill in & would...
dethcheez
Where to buy Pachysandra?
Hi All, I need some Pachysandra, does anyone know if...
walksindarkness
Need to remove creeping juniper
Dear friends, HELP! My house is surrounded by creeping...
murray_dog
Baltic Ivy on stone wall
We have a stone house and think it would look really...
justeen_bonsai
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™