dwarf mondo grass not growing well

siri3(South SF Bay)February 25, 2006

Hello,

We had our front landscaped in November. He put in dwarf mondo grass under our big cedar tree. There are about 6 inches between each small clump. The area is on a slope, with the tree (which has about 2 ft of river rock around it) two thirds up the slope to the fence. Above the tree, at the top of the slope, next to the fence, the grass is at least perceptibly growing - not much, but I do see growth - but below the tree, at the bottom of the slope, I can't reallly see any growth at all since November.

Is this because it's winter? (Mild - in SF Bay area) Or because the grass at the top stays slightly more moist? What's the governing factor in regards to growth? Light? Moisture? How long should it take for clumps to fill out that 6 inch spacing?

Many thanks,

Siri

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ltfuzz(Ctrl CA)

In Santa Cruz, it grows slowly but steadily. I have been able to grow and divide it for many years. It likes the summer best (of course) and I note little or no growth from about Nov - Mar. Give it a year or more to fill in.
Dave

Bookmark   February 26, 2006 at 4:54PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
miller2440(z7AL)

We planted dwarf mondo a couple of years ago in a large area that gets everything from full sun to shade. I was SO disappointed with it, as it just sat there looking pitiful. Finally, after much reading, lots of it on Gardenweb, I am having success. I have found that it likes LOTS of water, mulch, and food. I fed ours with Nursery Special this spring and will feed it again in July. It's spreading slowly, but it is spreading!!! I think next growing season it will totally fill in. I just wanted to share this with anyone out there who's frustrated: water, mulch, and food!!!

Bookmark   June 18, 2006 at 5:50PM
More Discussions
Alternatives To Decorative Bark Or Rock Ground Cover
Hey Have a small area I need to fill in & would...
dethcheez
Walnut Shell as ground cover alternative
does anyone have any experience of crushed walnut shells...
SCinCulverCity
Ground Cover for Moist Shade?
Hello, I'm having trouble finding the right plant for...
rwhipple08
Spreading succulent groundcover advice?
We recently bought a house and are finally tackling...
sweetverve
Dichondra - next to lawn, grow from seed, watering needs
Hello, I want to change the subject of the posting...
kwoksmusic
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™