groundcover for slopes

jayhawk_2009February 20, 2009

I have a shady slope that will not grow grass. Need a groundcover and a friend suggested myrtle. Is this a good idea?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bogturtle(SE NJ 7a)

Periwinkle or myrtle, if they are the same, is one of the most aggressive and undestructable plants. I have tons of it and would get rid of it, if I could. It has a brief show of violet-blue flowers in Spring.
Epimediums, on the other hand, will also exclude most weeds and seem to fend off the myrtle. Flowering is brief but there are many color choices. I cannot imagine having too much of it. Unfortunately, they are not cheap to buy.
The only negative is that I must string trim down my Epimediums, this time of year, as they look really bad.I do this, also, to make the flowers more prominent. The myrtle or periwinkle continues looking fine.

Bookmark   February 28, 2009 at 2:30PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lifesblessings(6/7)

I think I'm talking about the same plant - but call it "Vinca". I love it! I live on a rural five acres and have been doing naturalized landscaping for thirty years trying to reclaim a "worthless" piece of property that is now incredible beautiful. Someone gave me some garbage bags filled wiyh Vinca they were throwing out. I planted it in steep ravines where nothing else could grow. They are gorgeous now!

Bookmark   March 3, 2009 at 5:16PM
More Discussions
ajuga over Daffodil bulbs?
I am getting conflicting information about whether...
pink_petals
Where to buy Pachysandra?
Hi All, I need some Pachysandra, does anyone know if...
walksindarkness
Is my dymondia dying?
I have dymondia in a roughly 12' x 12' area with a...
sheckylovejoy
Dymondia Dying
Hello, A little over a week ago I purchased a bunch...
naveenreddy_la
replacing sod with Dwarf Jasmine
My septic mound is currently covered with Dwarf Jasmine...
dseeds
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™