Snow in Summer on Slope? (Pics)

pamcrews(6 SW Missouri)February 21, 2008

I have a long and large steep slope on the back part of my yard that blends into garden areas and then grass. I thought Snow in Summer would be a great ground cover as I love the folige and flowers it produces. I'm concerned as I have heard so many negative comments on how it cannot be controlled. Any suggestions on what to plant on this slope for ground cover? Would Snow in Summer be a good choice? As you can see from the pictures lots of rocks. I live in Missouri where we grow rocks. Maybe something that won't die out in the winter. I've considered ivy but don't want to be a breeding ground for snakes.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Pam

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bullthistle

Refer back to your previous question. This is from the Missouri Botanical garden:Plants are short-lived, and dead patches often begin to appear after several years. In St. Louis, foliage usually declines as the summer progresses. In other words in winter you will see dead plants as is the case with most flowering perennials.

Here is a link that might be useful: Propagating Perennials

Bookmark   February 29, 2008 at 10:53AM
its_rock8

how about periwinkle?

Bookmark   March 20, 2008 at 2:15AM
bullthistle

Periwinkle can be invasive but why not you have a lot of area to cover, but keep track of it. Use staggered rows so it fills in quickly. Just make certain you amend the soil before planting. Euynomous would do as well, like Emerald Gaity, multi-colored leaves.

Here is a link that might be useful: Propagating Perennials

Bookmark   March 21, 2008 at 11:14AM
More Discussions
replacing sod with Dwarf Jasmine
My septic mound is currently covered with Dwarf Jasmine...
dseeds
Pruning back Gro-Low Sumac
Newbie in over my head here! I have a big section of...
TrowelAndTonic
Need to remove creeping juniper
Dear friends, HELP! My house is surrounded by creeping...
murray_dog
Need Advice. Flowering Groundcovers and Moisture
Friend is redoing an entrance way to an apartment...
alexis717_df
Replacing groundcover
What (preferably flowering) groundcover would stay...
gcotterl
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™